Mainstream Music | Teen Ink

Mainstream Music

By Ashton_Marie BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
Ashton_Marie BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona

How many times have you heard someone say that they hate someone like Ke$ha or any other popular artist? In high school, you hear that a lot. People always post status’ on facebookok about how much “Lil Wayne” or whoever sucks. Well these people are all very successful, but if everyone hates them, how? I think that teenagers hate popular music because they think it’s the cool thing to do.
What I’m saying isn’t something I’ve thrown out there. I am speaking from experience. I am guilty of saying I dislike a song, then realizing it’s not bad and downloading it. But, at that point, I’m too embarrassed to say I like it after making a fuss about hating it.
In highs-school everyone wants to be different and unique. We’re all too cool to like mainstream. So everyone says how much they hate music just because it isn’t cool, or what they believe to be cool. But the reality of the situation is, you can hate country, rap, or pop, but pop-culture music isn’t a genre and if you like a song, you can’t stop yourself from liking that song.
Once again, when people say that they “hate mainstream music,” they are lying. Like music because you like it, no other reason.

on Mar. 29 2012 at 11:30 am
Valerie Sanchez, NonyaBizniz, Texas
We hate it because it sucks and people need to grow up and listen to better music! Durr~ Jeez, loosen up you guys. >_>

MissLoveaboo said...
MissLoveaboo, Marrero, Louisiana

Don't judge a book by its cover

I don't like most mainstream music. I like a little of it. I don't like Ke$ha, Taylor Swift, Britney, Justin Bieber, etc..  I also think most music today is awful. Most artist can't actually sing, auto tune is doing it for them. 

And no, I don't do it to be cool. I am currently in the "outcast" group just because of the music I listen to. I get picked on by the people who listen to the mainstream music.