School Budget Cuts and its Affect on Schools | Teen Ink

School Budget Cuts and its Affect on Schools

By Ally Paschal BRONZE, Ypsilanti, Michigan
Ally Paschal BRONZE, Ypsilanti, Michigan

School budget cuts affect the students the most. Due to them, students miss out on opportunities that wealthier schools have. Whoever gives the schools their budgets doesn’t think about the people who make up the school, which are the students. I attend a school that is not in the best condition. Our restrooms are falling apart, with most stalls not having locks, there being a ton of graffiti, and most of the time there is no toilet paper, soap, or paper towels. We don’t have enough custodians to clean up our school, so we have no choice but to live with how dirty the school gets. The sad truth is that this state is not the wealthiest and the ones who suffer are students, but it would be nice to have soap after using the restrooms. Due to the budget cuts, the school lays off teachers and other school help, which is not beneficial to anyone. Some teachers who get laid off are people who truly teach and love what they’re doing, and for someone who doesn’t even know what it’s like to be in that school. Education is the only way our country will advance to bigger and better things. Money is mostly going towards the war, Medicare, or social security for the elderly. A lot of it should be going towards education, and sadly, it’s not. If the next generation of politicians, leaders, doctors, lawyers are poorly educated, the future of this country will truly suffer.

I was inspired to write this piece because I am currently a student and see firsthand how much budget cuts affect us.