The Effects of Violence | Teen Ink

The Effects of Violence

January 20, 2011
By Elliot Walton BRONZE, Park City, Utah
Elliot Walton BRONZE, Park City, Utah
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

No one is safe from violence. Violence can lead to death. Death usually occurs when someone is under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Video games can influence on violence sometimes it to releases anger or it makes teens have a desire to see what it is like in real life to kill. Sometimes they kill innocent family members or friends or anyone they can find. I remember hearing of violence when I was 7 or 8. My mom told us that a young man 14 or so had been playing violent video games at his grandparents house. When he had a desire that was uncontrollable he went and got his grandpa’s shotgun and shot both his grandparents and himself.

Violence is also prevalent at school and online at social websites such Facebook, My space, twitter, etc. They can really damage a person physically, mentally, and emotionally. In Laptop Literacy we watched a video on cyber bullying. It talked about a boy who had been having troubles with bullies at school and online. The boy and his parents got the bullies at school to stop. The young man did not tell his parents about the cyber bullies so, they continued online. One day one of the school’s hottest girls started flirting online with him and then, she said that it was a fake and this was a game she did often. Eventually the boy killed himself. His parents checked their sons e-mail and found out that another boy from school had encouraged their son to commit suicide.

Depression, guilt, sadness are ways people react to violence emotionally. Emotions are a huge part of violence. They start innocent little thoughts like I hate that person or teacher I wish they would get hit by a bus, but steadily their thoughts grow to where they convince themselves they are invincible and no one can defeat or stop them. Bully can take its toll and students emotionally. Sometimes it takes the students years to get over. The bullies can get over it quite fast. The bullied takes years sometimes if it was bad enough. Guilt is the emotion that the bullies feel. Usually not till their twenties or so, but most will feel guilt.

Violence is a key reason in divorces they destroy families and marriage. Over 3 Million children are abused or neglected each year. There are 594,444 children in Utah in 2000 about 42% of have or are being abused. 249,666 that is a huge amount of kids in just, Utah alone. Women are usually the abused and the men are the abusers but not always.