Music Education in Public School Systems | Teen Ink

Music Education in Public School Systems

By nohat333 BRONZE, Casstown, Ohio
nohat333 BRONZE, Casstown, Ohio

"It's not where you come from, It's where you are going that makes all the difference."

Music Education in Public Schools is an issue that is very near and dear to me. I don’t understand why it is so underrated. It helps students succeed in life, as well as in school society. Being involved with music education gives them an opportunity to express themselves through a creative outlet. It also gives them a chance to make great friendships that they will keep for a long time.
Another reason why I believe that it is so important to have a Music Education program is because it helps students succeed in life. For example, some studies have shown that teenagers who are involved in music programs are more likely to do better on standardized tests, they have better focus, they are more interactive with the classroom environment, and they have excellent social skills, and teamwork skills. Now, I would think that schools would want that type of result from their students. Am I the only one that believes this?
I also can say from personal experience, that the above statements are very factual. I have grown and matured a lot from my performing art related programs at my high school. I have maintained an understanding for what teamwork really is about. I have also grown emotionally because I’ve learned how to put myself into the music, and to put myself out there, creating the most wonderful friendships that I treasure and hold very close to my heart. Because of the programs, I have found a way to relieve some of the bad hurdles in my life, and I have become a stronger person because of it. It’s almost like a therapy for me, but only when I need it to be. Music truly is the key to opening the soul and the heart to new experiences in life’s many joys.

I am very dedicated and feel very strongly about the importance of having a music education program in public schools.