Walls | Teen Ink

Walls

January 18, 2011
By watchoutworld BRONZE, Rapid City, South Dakota
watchoutworld BRONZE, Rapid City, South Dakota
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Dream as though you'll live forever; live as thought you'll die today."


Walls. They are the terrifying realism that everything in the world has a limit. All of your dreams, hopes, and ambitions are only accessible to a certain point, and then the only thing you are left with is a after image of what you could have been.

Walls prove that even the simplest of things have to end at a certain point. They prove that every time you hear, “Anything is possible”, it’s a lie.

You don’t realize this until you’ve gotten to the top, gotten on the path to where you need to go, just to have these boundaries rip you down from your perch. They keep you from being who you have always wanted to be.

But pondering how infinite your walls are, how indestructible your boundaries are, you start to realize that your walls don’t matter. What really matters is how big the room is.


The author's comments:
I was inspired to write this piece by the current state of society, how everyone feels as though they have to be the best at something. We, as human beings, claw our way to the top. But it recently hit that you can only stack so many people on top of one another, until someone hits their head on the ceiling.