Advocacy Letter | Teen Ink

Advocacy Letter

By britt0936 SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
britt0936 SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Dear Mom and Dad:
Over the last 16—almost 17 years of my life, we’ve had our differences in opinion, however I have to say yours has been respectable. Like you tell me all the time, you were both my age once, and I’m sure you wanted something that your parents didn’t always agree with. I recognize that as my parents you are trying to protect me by implementing my early curfew, but I think once you hear my reasons for extending it you may reconsider.
One of your go-to arguments has always included Brandon, in which it is not fair to him because he didn’t have even an 11:30 curfew at my age. First of all, if I’m not allowed to use fairness compared to Brandon as an argument, how can you? Second. Brandon and I are completely different people. To start, Brandon, as I’m sure you’re aware of, is a boy. According to the US Department of Transportation the car accident death rate for teen male drivers and passengers is more than one and half times female teen drivers. I also have completely different circumstances than Brandon. While I know it was my decision, I chose to go to a school that I live 25 minutes away from, making my friends a range of anywhere between 20-40 minutes away. This prompts me to have to leave their houses between 10:50 and 11:10 just to make it home on time. I often miss out on, and cannot go to certain events because I would have to leave early, or because of my early curfew in general. For example, going anywhere after a football game is impossible for me, because by the time I get there, I would be at the location for maybe 45 minutes before I had to leave. I don’t believe this is fair. When it comes to responsibility I have more than shown you what I am capable of. I maintain and keep my car, and have yet to get in an accident, or had any traffic violation of any kind. I have never been late for my curfew, I participate in sports year round, currently hold a 3.95gpa, and work in the summers. I have also not given you any reason not to trust me. You always know where I am, and who I’m with, and that doesn’t have to change. I also understand that you are concerned with my protection, being that I am a 16 year old girl. However I am a smart young adult and I won’t put myself in a dangerous situation.

I know you think it is in my best interest, and you are just looking out for me, but I believe that I have proved myself a responsible person who is mature enough to handle a curfew later than 11:30.
Thank you for supporting me in everything I have done over the past 16 years of my life. I look forward to having this discussion with you; feel free to talk to me whenever you’re ready.
Sincerely,
Brittany McNellis

I wanted to convince my parents to give me later curfew, so I wrote them this letter.