Burberry handbag? Great personality? Tough one. | Teen Ink

Burberry handbag? Great personality? Tough one.

October 21, 2007
By Charlotte Greif BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas
Charlotte Greif BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Burberry handbag? Great personality? Tough one.

More and more increasingly across the world people scramble to local shopping malls and stores stocking up on all sorts of clothing. Although, this is not just regular or no-name clothing, but designer brand. As millions spend flaunting amounts of money on designer brands to boost their appearance, our society poses a question: Is our opinion of humanity based on the correct material?

For centuries the world has judged others by their appearance, looks, or possessions. Even in ancient civilizations the people of power were decked out in finery. As some people venture out to explore these ancient times, we must wonder what the people are learning from their experience. Are they learning about the lives of the ancient people or something else? For modern humans, looking up into the adornment of the emperors, kings, or queens spurs a kind of desire: an ardor to be perceived as a superior through appearance. These models throw a desire into our society that should be overlooked: humans should not be judged by their material items.

As in the latest People magazine or US, we see pages scattered with Dior, Fendi, and many of the sort. We look up to these people. We look up to people that spend so much time on their flawless appearance, yet are rocky in every other aspect. We stare into the pages and stammer about how much these celebrities have or how beautiful they are. Should humans really look up to these people, though? Do they not completely fall into the trap of practicing judging by appearance? The truth is, yes, these people are rich, wealthy, and largely idolized, but admiring the world of these celebrities is an example of the becoming of our society. Our society should not become a fashion label mega-land. We aren’t celebrities. We are normal, interesting people who should not have to be judged by our appearance: the one thing that humans cannot do very much to control.

Just last summer, however, I found myself scrambling through a market in Hong Kong. The market was crazy and commotion filled the streets. I was walking with my brothers, and I passed a stand of designer brand items. Naturally, I was drawn to it. I picked up an item and reluctantly checked the price. My eyes grew wide as the purse was marked at less than twenty U.S. dollars. I glanced at it and questioned the salesperson. “This is a fake,” The woman responded. I looked back at the identical counterfeit purse realizing that this was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity: a cheap way to significantly improve my image. But then I thought, and wondered if I would truly enjoy people looking up to me because of my items. I sat the bag down and decided that people should be looked up to because of other things; things that cannot be bought. I walked away as I saw another person reach for the purse. I hoped that she would let people see something more important in herself, than a designer-brand woman.

People should remember that there are a vast number of reasons to like a person and their materials is certainly avoid of this list. A likable personality, a sharp intellect, and a steady kindness account for much more than a Burberry handbag or Prada purse. With the coming of our society, we need to remember what is important in life and what truly matters in a person. An expensive buy flatters an appearance for a few weeks, while a sensible mind lasts a lifetime.