(Who is responsible for the deaths of romeo and juliet?) Unnecessary Suicide | Teen Ink

(Who is responsible for the deaths of romeo and juliet?) Unnecessary Suicide

October 19, 2007
By Anonymous

(Who is responsible for the deaths of romeo and juliet?)

Unnecessary Suicide

The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet, by William Shakespeare, is a romantic and suspenseful story enjoyable to all. Romeo and Juliet fall in love, later to find that they are enemies. They continue their love secretly, until things become complicated, making suicide a choice. Their deaths were their own fault. They could’ve changed their miserable ending into a happily ever after.

Many factors could’ve changed the outcome of this story. One of them is Romeo’s feelings. During the course of the story, Romeo has been falling in and out of love very fast. In the beginning, he was in love with Rosaline, who formed the decision to become a nun. Romeo was very depressed, however, only days after he met Juliet and his depression turned into happiness. When Romeo saw Juliet for the first time, he thought “Did my heart love till now? Forswear it, sight! For I ne’er saw true beauty till this night.” (Romeo and Juliet 1. 5. 51-2)

During a street fight in Verona, Tybalt killed Mercutio, angering Romeo. Romeo, in an act of revenge, killed Tybalt. The Prince, trying to maintain peace, banished Romeo from Verona. The Nurse brought the news to Juliet “Tybalt is gone, and Romeo banished; Romeo that killed him, he is banished” (Romeo and Juliet 2. 2. 69-70 ) This made Juliet miserable over Romeo's banishment, mean while her parents thought her unhappiness was over Tybalt`s death. Then, Juliet's parents, trying to make her happy, moved up her wedding date, only to make her even more depressed. All of this led up to Juliet's fake death, which caused both of their deaths. Romeo and Juliet are at fault for their own deaths.

Romeo and Juliet did not have to keep their love a secret. They could've told their parents about their matrimony. Then, Juliet's parents would’ve canceled her wedding to Paris seeing that she was already married. If this occurred, then Juliet wouldn’t have taken the potion, and her death would’ve been prevented, along with Romeo's death. This would’ve also prevented the way her father wondered, “Doth she not count her blest, Unworthy as she is, that we have wrought so worthy of a gentleman to be her bride?” (Romeo and Juliet 3. 3. 144-46)

Several people and things could’ve been blamed for the deaths of Romeo and Juliet. Friar Lawrence could’ve been blamed for giving Juliet the potion, but it was Juliet's fault because she made him give her the potion. The apothecary could be to blame, but he only gave Romeo the poison because he needed the money; Romeo was at fault for bribing the apothecary. It could’ve been the Nurse’s fault since she betrayed Juliet and told her to marry Paris, causing her to go ask Friar Lawrence for help, yet Juliet was at fault because she lied to the Nurse and said she was going to go ask for forgiveness, that way the Nurse could not help prevent her death. Various things coul`ve prevented their deaths, but if you go back into the root of the problem you will find that Romeo and Juliet were accountable for their own deaths.

Romeo and Juliet died horrible deaths. Romeo took his own life with poison. Juliet stabbed herself with Romeo's dagger. They took their lives for the love of each other. The thought of losing each other, made them individually lose the interest in their lives. Most importantly, Romeo and Juliet took their own lives by choice; they were not forced to do anything, and could’ve prevented their own deaths. Romeo and Juliet formed and modified their own destiny.



Works Cited
Shakespeare, William. The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet. Timeless Voices, Timeless
Themes. Ed. Kate Kinsella ET. EL. Upper Saddle River: Pearson Prentice Hall,
2004. 771-874