A Transient Thought | Teen Ink

A Transient Thought

By whatevwhatev BRONZE, Chandler, Arizona
whatevwhatev BRONZE, Chandler, Arizona

“Ignorance is Bliss.” First stated, in Thomas Gray’s “Ode on a Distant Prospect of Eton College,” and later in movies and television shows such as “House,” has often captivated audiences, introducing an idea and leaving it up to questions and debate. For many, it merely means that one who is oblivious to a horrible truth is better off than one who faces it. It is like a child who is oblivious to his grandma’s death or the first few pages of Lemony Snicket’s, “A Series of Unfortunate Events.” Yet, if we delve further, we see that “ignorance is bliss” stems from the story of Adam and Eve. When we look at this story it appears as if ignorance really is bliss. Adam and Eve had everything that they could probably ever want. Food, garden, walking around naked all day… Yet, they were ignorant and did not even realize they were naked until they were tricked to eat a piece of fruit by a snake. Now that I think of it, man’s descent to evil seemed much planned out. I mean a piece of fruit that is not to be eaten, created by God, is placed in a garden with an ignorant couple. God then also places a devious snake in that garden. Hmm...the translations must have been a little screwy.