Let It Out | Teen Ink

Let It Out

By ammmanda BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
ammmanda BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

No matter how hard we try to maintain an ideally calm and collected composure, there comes a time when our emotions can no longer resist suppression and it is necessary to sit back and let our feelings drown all rationality and escape through glistening eyes. However, not every emotion that creates a feeling of helplessness is the same; there are always different reasons why a person is driven to cry. Whether the weight of everyday problems becomes too heavy or it is just one of those days, when in doubt, crying brings a vital sense of relief that can bring light to even the darkest dilemmas. The most common reasons that would ensue a meltdown include absolute happiness, crippling despair, overwhelming daily grievances, and spontaneous frustrations.

In life, our expectations are naturally so high that the actual outcomes leave us with a struggle between levels of low and lower satisfaction. But, every once in a while, an unexpected joy comes along and we are so overcome with marvel that the only way we can express our gratitude is between sobs. Happy tears are almost always accompanied with bursts of laughter that come without warning and take their time in leaving; apologies are also given to all those who are made uncomfortable by the unsuspected surge of emotions. When our tears are caused by blissful news it is like a volcanic eruption that not we, nor the people around us, could have possibly foreseen. It is surely a
phenomena so unexpected that it is likely to elevate the initial attack. What might have only been a few warm salty drops down blushed cheeks turn into two giants rivers that eventually separate into many different streams across varied dimples in the skin. This type of scene is the most delightful of them all; but crying is not always the result of such pleasant circumstances.

The most unsought grounds for crying is anguish. Everyone has experienced the heart wrenching, stomach twisting sensation felt when the bearer of bad news brings us something too painful to handle. Whether your favorite aunt has fallen ill and taken her presence to another world, or Johnny decided that he would rather spend his money on wings than rings, the best medicine is to let your heat be soaked up in in the tears that caused you to feel so impoverished. Unfortunately, this unwanted knowledge leaves us with what seems to be a thousand black holes in every inch of our bodies, all expanding and cramping simultaneously. Every shallow breathe comes laboriously and with no relief; this sort of lamentation is by far the most agonizing. With this kind of situation, there is not much to do but fulfill the need for weeping and mourn whatever loss has come to the sufferer. The only remedy for this mental poison is time and acceptance. Luckily, the bemoaned is usually cried to exhaustion and any problems are postponed for another time as he or she finds much needed consolation with rest. Tears that fall as a result of grief is closely related to those that are evoked through personal defeat.

In every way possible, it sometimes seems as if the world is trying to conquer us like a unforgivable ferocious force aimed at making our lives as unpleasant as possible. Whether it is the fact that every teacher thinks that he or she is the only instructor that
assigns homework, therefore assuming it is reasonable to give enough work to bring anyone to the brink of insanity, or it appears as though there are never enough hours in a day or days in a week to accomplish the things we wish to do, anxiety will eventually outweigh us. Over time, the stress of failure can build up so much that we become no less destructive than a thunderstorm, with tears that fall like rain and throats that crack like lightning. Like Terri Guillemets, a poet, once said, “I heard the teardrop hit my pillow before I even knew I was crying.” Crying caused by an immense amount of dismay can only be described as a complete emotional, mental, and physical meltdown. Once the weeping begins, it is a spitfire of nonstop tears. This response becomes questionable after some time when we realize we can no longer figure out why we are still upset. The mere state of being overwhelmed is enough to fuel our suffering. After a short amount of time, a time at which it would be perfectly reasonable to cease the sobbing, we raid our minds for any possible culprits that have caused us such grief. And with this evidence, we find it acceptable to continue crying for as long as we can find reasons to do so. Sometimes even, the yowling is almost forced. This blubbering state of self pity is one of the most satisfying ways to unwind. Sometimes all we need is a good, long cry. Every now and then, this sort of reaction is motivated by absurd incentives.

One of the most common, and possibly the most ridiculous, reasons we loose ourselves, and become prisoners to, our emotions is by anger. This sort of situation is closely affiliated with the overwhelming sensation we tend to feel but it is brought up differently and executed in another way. Only in a sensitive state does this happen; the frustration is what sets us over the edge, not necessarily what completely defines our state
of mind. Whether your mom only cracked the door when you told her to shut it or your arrogant older brother spilt his diet coke over all the floor and found it sufficient to cover the mess with a newspaper, an invisible switch has by flipped. Mind clouded with smoke, eyes blazing red, you cannot help yourself but summon up the most vicious and ear-piercing howl from your throat and bawl out tears that feel ice-cold in comparison to your feverish cheeks. The moments following are usually a blur or destruction, yelling and rage. For example, I was once so infuriated with my brother that I stormed into my bedroom, tears leaving a path behind me, and drove my fist so hard through my headboard that the frame effortlessly snapped in half as the backboard crashed to the floor. Although it is obvious the motivation for this scene is not, in reality, actually what we are truly upset with, we still, without hesitation, take out all our anger on the poor soul who was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. It is a pathetic series of events.

Crying is not just a spontaneous event. It is brought on by the influences thrown at us throughout our lives; whether or not it came with delight of despondency. To weep is to repair our souls when they are grieved; and it is a wonderful way of expressing emotion. Crying is a natural and shameless method that our hearts use to cope with the forces life lays against us

I hope everyone will enjoy my take on crying :)