This I Believe | Teen Ink

This I Believe

Has someone ever hurt you with words before? In my opinion, words can’t hurt. I’ve had experiences where a person has called me names before and I have told them that their words didn’t hurt me at all. I don’t care what anyone thinks about me. That’s why words don’t hurt me. I believe words don’t hurt.

One experience I have had with this is where my parents and I were arguing about my room being a little messy. They called me stupid and crazy for my room being a little messy. There were just a few clothes in the floor. After they called me stupid, we got into a huge argument and I told them I am not paying attention to what they’re saying and then I left the room. We always get into arguments about the stupidest things they say I do, and I really don’t care. They’re always getting on me for something. Even when I don’t do anything, I do something wrong.

Another experience I had with this is when my cousin and I were outside. We were trying to fix his go-cart. He asked me a question about it and I told him I didn’t know. He kind of looked at me weird and then he called me an idiot for not knowing what he asked me. I told him I really didn’t care what he says and I called my dad to come pick me up. When I was walking away, he yelled at me and says “you’re not going home.” I looked at him and said to him and said you aren’t my boss and I am going home whether you like it or not. He apologized to me and I have not talked to him since and I won’t.

The last experience I have had with this is, when I was over at my friend’s house. We were playing video games. I won against him and he got mad and called me a low-life just for winning the game. He told me I was going to be a no-body. I looked at him and said “you’re going to be the one that’s a no-body; all you do all day is sit on your lazy butt all day and do nothing.” He told me I was a liar and I told him that I didn’t care what he thinks about me or anyone else. He looked at me like I was crazy and he told me to go home and I did. We have not been friends since then. He hates me and I hate him.

People says thing that they have no business saying about people sometimes. Words shouldn’t hurt people because they shouldn’t care about what people thinks or says about them. I think people shouldn’t care what other people thinks.