Drug Use Should Be Legal in America

Next year, America will have undergone two changes that seem to run counter to each other. Absinthe will be legal, while the hallucinogen salvia is currently in the process of becoming illegal in the states. While absinthe has long been maligned as a hideous threat to life and society, salvia is known to be rather harmless unless smoked or chewed in very high doses. However, the potential for harm with any drugs does not conern me. What does is their legal status. I think that all drugs (including cigarettes, alcohol and even meth) should be made legal for anybody 18 years or older. Drug legalization will not cause the downfall of society, it could easily save some lives and it would cerainly put more money in government coffers, allowing more funding for things like road improvement, technology research and education.
First things first. Alcohol was once abhorred to the point of being banned in America, on the grounds that it would cause irreparable damage to the structure of society. As we all learn in school, Prohibition didn't last all that long. Since alcohol was re-legalized, it has clearly not destroyed the U.S. Alcohol use is generally not allowed at most workplaces, and such would be the case with any other drug. Also prominent is the fact that many drugs which are prohibited in America are not in the Netherlands. Dutch society is not some hellish, broken world and Holland is a thriving first world country. I am skeptical (to say the least) that letting people eat magic mushrooms will kill America.
This is probably a good time to address methamphetamine. My opinion is that if someone is stupid enough to cook up things like cough syrup, ammonia and lithium, then smoke the product, those people might not be the most valuable members of society anyway. They can go right ahead and mess up their lives.
Drug legalization would, on the other hand, be able to save many other lives. Just like with cigarettes and alcohol, the government could regulate production and prices of any drugs. Varying potencies and warnings could be established. If drug strength and content were regulated and drugs legalized, manufacturers who make drugs in unhealthy ways would become obsolete and drug use might easily become much safer.
Legal drugs would also allow the government to collect more taxes. More government funds can spell more money being spent on improvements in fields such as education, transportation and technology research.
Drug use should be legal in America. It would benefit the government and not harm the populace.

eldar said...
yesterday at 6:58 pm:
First, this article was extremely interesting even if I did not agree with it.  It makes some valid points, but I have some problems with it.  It seems to me that this article lacks any real analysis other than a wave of opinion.  Some of these opinions are also very poorly thought out such as the one about methamphetamine and how these "stupid" people are not the most valuable members of society.  This degrades these kind of people so much and who would want to ask... (more »)

Interrobang said...
Apr. 10 at 4:06 pm:
I'm glad to see how many people here agree with this paper. I find it absolutely ridiculous how society is so desensitized to alcohol and cigarettes and are fine with those being legal. But drugs that have shown to have no physical dependence as well as very low psychological dependence, such as mushrooms, marijuana, and LSD, are abhorrant, and people who use them are scum. It is a felony to so much as possess LSD in the united states, and I find that this is such a gross violation of the &q... (more »)

angelpeach23This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 5 at 6:24 pm:
I would have to disagree with this article. I think it is a matter of morals vs. economy vs. freedom. While I can see where you're coming from that consumerism through drugs would stimulate the economy, should our governement really endorse something that consistently jeopardizes thousands of lives for the sake of "freedom?" You say yourself that the people taking hard drugs like meth "might not be the most valuble people in society," so why, should we encourage them to d... (more »)

sgriesmeyer said...
Apr. 2 at 12:22 pm:
Good opinion bud

kaycie55 said...
Apr. 2 at 12:22 pm:
I kind of agree and kind of disagree. I think that drugs that have not been proven to greatly harm people such as marijuana should be legalized. Drugs such as alcohol and tobacco should stay legal due to the fact that they cause addcition and making them illegal will raise hell. Drugs such as meth and hallucinogens should however NOT be legalized do to how many deaths they have caused. Just because it is someone's choice to try and ruin their life, doesn't mean the government should make... (more »)

Ghost_Rider14 said...
Apr. 2 at 11:02 am:
I think that it would have good and bad effects im not for it or against it. All im saying is the government and the people should think before they act.

taytortayt said...
Mar. 7 at 11:12 am:
Yes! I love this. I totally agree, and I'm so glad some people think the same as I do. I thought I was crazy :D

WriterBlocker15 said...
I love this so much. you have great structure and it was very enjoyable to read.

Andrew M. said...
I agree 100% with this article. The legal status of a drug does not prevent anyone from using. I choose to smoke marijuana on occasion, althought this is illegal, and have never touched tobacco in my life, because I understand its dangers. If drugs were legal, more people wouldn't do them, just less people would die of overdoses. Also more people could go to detox and curb their addiction rather than dying or spending their lives in jail. Thank you for having some sense! It is quite ref... (more »)

Kalyn92 said...
Jul. 18, 2012 at 11:31 am:
Can you actually prove that thousands of people died from pot?

TheSihlouettedMan replied...
Aug. 2, 2012 at 12:01 pm :
Oh and don't give me any of that sh#% about it being used for medical reasons! That's only when someone is suffering an illness that will inevitably lead to death and they need a way to numb the pain.

Interrobang replied...
Apr. 10 at 3:59 pm :
Cannabis has been used medicinally by almost every society it has been a part of for the last 4 thousand years. And up, until the 1920s or 30s, it was in every single medical text book you could find. To spout ignorance about it simply being used to numb pain is asinine and uneducated. I highly recommend you actually do some research on marijuana from, generally, unbiased resources before you go on about all that "sh#%" which some of us call facts.

Pardon me if I come accr... (more »)

TheSihlouettedMan said...
Jul. 5, 2012 at 7:33 pm:
This is precisely the kind of thinking that scares me about the newest generation and what they might fight for in the future. AND I'm PART OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheSihlouettedMan said...
Jul. 5, 2012 at 7:33 pm:

Gage R. said...
Jan. 11, 2012 at 7:15 am:
jordan smith (jordan s.) you live on woodpecker road in tecumseh Michigan 49286 gose to tecumseh middle school and ur in 7th grade and ur 13 and chubby

Gage R. said...
Jan. 11, 2012 at 7:11 am:
i dont think meth should be legal it is bad fo yo teeth

Kalyn92 said...
The only drug in my opinion that should be legal is Marijuana. Its natural and NO ONE has died from pot. People get it medically! It helps cancer patents eat and relax. I know when i used to smoke pot, i never got angry or went on a rampage. Ive never seen anyone get angry on pot. Now with Meth and herion?...I do not see how that is safe for anyone.

TheSihlouettedMan replied...
Jul. 5, 2012 at 7:36 pm :
I don't intend to be a jerk but I have to tell you that it is actually a proven fact that thousands of people have died from the use of pot and the only reason that it is legalized for hospitic use is because if someone has a deathly illness that will kill the in the future the drug pot, can be used to lessen pain.

kaycie55 replied...
Apr. 2 at 12:22 pm :
Nope, not deaths caused by marijuana smoking have been reported.

swcricket98 said...
Jun. 27, 2011 at 12:57 am:
Honestly, I didn't even feel like I needed to read this. I don't believe that any of you realize why these drugs are not legal in the first place. People DIE because of drugs. People make idiotic mistakes while under the influence. People can't make desicions while they are high. NO way. This is absolutely ridiculous. Are there any responsible people in the world any more?