Media Lies: Are We Getting Things Twisted? | Teen Ink

Media Lies: Are We Getting Things Twisted?

In the broadest sense of the word, media has become the core of the news in the United States. The 21st century has become a thriving media circus.
For most of us, the way we obtain information about current issues and our sense of wellness as a society comes from the news. The different news outlets are television programs, newspapers, radio, magazines and internet sites that inform us about weather, current issues, and what to expect in the future. Is the media telling us the truth?
As an 18-year-old senior in Rock Port, I am interested in what is going on in my community, my country, and my world. I want to know the truth about what the United States government is doing, and I want to know the truth behind the issues of the day. With this in mind, I keep feeling like I’m not receiving the whole truth. Is the media of the 21st century slanted towards a particular political party? Is the information we hear simply based on what will sell? As a society, are we bowing down and letting others decide what is important to us? These are questions that I have begun to ask as I seek out the truth of today’s news industry.
The media has the ability to manipulate the facts about what has happened in the world and present it to us the way they want us to think. Therefore, the media has the ability to control what we think is happening in the world, and essentially, what we know.
I understand the media is a fundamental necessity in today’s society, but I have a feeling that in many ways it has brainwashed my generation and will brainwash future generations. These realities really bother me. The United States government is monitored by a check and balance system that keeps each branch of government accountable to each other. The media has so much power; is it controlled by a check and balance system? Are we doing anything to counteract the power it has?
You’re probably wondering, what can we do about it; and honestly, I’m not sure there’s much we can do. I would encourage you to seek out the truth with the least amount of the media’s influence as possible. I would also encourage you to seek out your own truth and discover your own opinion and not just believe what the media purveyors of today want you to think.