"Friendship" vs. Friendship | Teen Ink

"Friendship" vs. Friendship

“Friendship” is a superfluous word, silly and flimsy on the tongue, reminiscent of so many clichéd movies with happy endings. It calls to mind meaningless little moments filled with people, some laughter, maybe a mug of tea or some popcorn. They are fleeting times. In reality, though, friendship is so much more than silly moments that flit past quick as a butterfly.

The word “friendship” has become meaningless in society, limp and overused. A “friend” can be someone you love spending time with but don’t get to, someone you spend every waking moment with and enjoy it or even someone you don’t like very much but talk to anyway. “Friends” are cliché, shallow and superficial, for fair weather or not at all.

Friends, however, are a different matter. Friends are for life (without the quickly forgotten friends forever rituals of “friends”). They are not chosen, they come to you as naturally as if they are family. And indeed, they become as such.

Friends are the ones who stay online talking to you all night when you’re depressed and all your “friends” left you hours ago. “Friends” will share laughs, friends will make you laugh even when you’re in the stormiest of moods. “Friends” will vow to be by your side always—friends don’t have to. Whether you like it or not, want it or not, they will be there whenever you need a shoulder to cry on or an ear to talk to.

“Friendship” is gradual—some conversations in a neutral place like school or work, then the exchange of phone numbers and screen names, then perhaps an outing to get to know each other better. A steady process.

Friendship is instant. You know it upon contact. It may be scary, so quickly might you open up to this person you’ve just met. Friendship, though, has no end and no real beginning, either. After a first meeting on, for example, a Monday, by Wednesday you might be talking every night and revealing secrets you’ve never told another soul, feeling as if you’ve know this person since the dawn of time.

Nothing feels more natural than talking to a friend, even for the most socially challenged nerd. Everything is at peace and nothing unfixable. Everything can be accomplished in time, with help.

“Friends” will offer petty advice, wish you luck and hope everything goes well. Friends will share their opinions and stand by your side every step of the way. “Friends” expect you to guide them through the storms in life; friends will help to guide you.

Life has its ups and downs. Perhaps the only thing we can do is try and find the few that can help us through the storms.

on Aug. 16 2009 at 2:32 pm
Electricity PLATINUM, Bradenton, Florida
I like this article. It shows the difference between a fake friend and a true friend. Great job, keep writing!