An Unrecognizable Body | Teen Ink

An Unrecognizable Body

What do you feel when you see someone who’s body is unrecognizable and in bones? When they also appear fragile and worried about their weight. Apparently young girls and women are all going through the same path of anorexia. Do you think it’s healthy to be living in a life where you are really skinny and can’t eat what you want? Would you like to be one of those people that can’t stop thinking about your weight and spends most of their time in a hospital? Well I wouldn’t. Anorexia has become a huge problem in the health of women and men. People need to take this illness more serious since the illness is taking more people each time.

Anorexia doesn’t just affect the young women anymore, but all women of all ages and men, too. In the past it was just the young girls but over the years older women have suffered with this disease. According to the magazine “Daily American” July 23, 2007 in recent years more women have been seeking help in their 30’s, 40’s, and older. This is an eating disorder that is very common here in the United States. In “Kids Health” they state that between 5 and 10 million people have them and 10% can be guys. They also say that men are ashamed to come forward with this disease. Therefore, the numbers in statistics can be higher. In general the statistics have gone up for the young and older women, including men.

One of the biggest problems that we have is the age some girls start to diet. In an article called “Eating Disorders Coalition 2006” it states that 40% of 9-year old girls have dieted. Also, 30-40% of Junior High girls are concerned about their weight. As they get older, they worry more about their appearance. Between 40-60% of High school girls diet. Many of these girls then experience eating disorders. Girls from young ages should be taught the consequences that dieting can bring them. If they find out about anorexia they will be informed more about this disease and take precautions in their future.

Anorexia has been getting worse and worse as the years pass by. Anorexia was considered one of the highest mortality rates of any mental illness according to the Department of Mental Health. It is 12 times higher than the death rate of all causes of death for females. It is also said that 20% of people suffering from anorexia will die from complications. The treatment of an eating disorder will cost families a lot. It is thought that in the U.S it ranges from $500 per day to $2000 per day. It is also believed to be the 3rd most common chronic illness among adolescents. This illness is very common in teenagers and we should do something so that these statistics decrease.

I see myself as looking fat when I look in the mirror and besides there are really skinny girls that are in perfect health. Those are some of the things Anorexics will say to you. They also think that being skinny to the point where you hardly have any body left is better than being fat! Some girls who wish to be in the Fashion Industry are ultra-thin because of the things they hear from Fashion Designers. According to “ The Record” Sept. 28, 2006, designers continue to prefer ultra-thin girls show case their creations. This makes girls want to do all that’s possible so that they are accepted. People should think more what they say because they may be sending the wrong message to women.

Anorexia has become the 3rd most common chronic illness among adolescents. Even older women and men have developed this eating disorder. The statistics have gone higher and it’s an illness that affects millions here in America. It starts by an early age in girls when they begin to diet worrying about their appearance. If they would find out more about this illness and the consequences it brings it might help them in the future. It’s important to know that putting your body to hunger and loosing so much weight can cause your life. We must try to educate everyone of this problem so that the statistics decrease. Go out and tell family members, volunteer at schools and clubs so that people of all ages can be informed of what is ruining people’s lives.