Simply Communication | Teen Ink

Simply Communication

If you are able to find a way to completely communicate with the world, you will have no trouble in life. I have lost count of how many times I have been told to communicate, to open up to the world. I love to talk, and people know this about me, but it comes to a certain point where I don’t want to talk anymore. I’m not quite sure why, but sometimes I just don’t like to express myself, to let people know how I’m feeling and why I’m acting a certain way. My mother will constantly ask me why I don’t talk to her, and let her know the details of my life. Even then, when I have the opportunity to let it out, show my emotions and let her know what I’m really thinking inside, I push her away like it means nothing to me. Then I am faced with regret, knowing I have passed the chance to describe what I’m feeling; to describe me. I’ve had a bad day at school; I got into a fight with my best friend. Someone tripped me in the hallway, and now all I want to do is shout at the top of my lunges; causing the glass door that’s dividing what I’m truly thinking and the world to shatter. Unfortunately, it’s not that easy.

In life I am constantly asked to communicate. It may be in class, at work, when I’m with my family, with my friends. Communication is made out to seem so simple. People are sometime faced with difficult questions though, and they may not feel comfortable giving an opinion, to express their selves. One of the biggest problems with society today, is that people are constantly being judged. I know that there is always someone there to judge and criticize me, my thoughts and my opinions. This is why it is so hard for me to show what I’m truly feeling. Thoughts of what I’m supposed to be, based on the stereotype of this world are permanently imprinted in my head; it is the glue that keeps up the glass door.

I am determined to knock down this door, and breakthrough. I have yet been able to do so, but I have found ways to express my feelings and emotions. Writing is my passion and when I sit down and start writing I am taken away. I am in my own world; no one is there to judge me. It’s a way for me to escape. So I bought a journal and made it a daily routine to write in it. So every night, I am able to let go, and not worry about up holding the standards of society.

As I sit here writing, my glass door is spread out across the room broken into a million pieces. It is the same way when I write in a journal. I might not be communicating with others surrounding me, but it’s a way that people can communicate to the world without worrying what others will think. Though it is only a way to escape from the judgmental criticism for a short amount of time. As I have closed my journal in the past I would sit there and watch the pieces of the glass down slowing become one again. The burrier keeping my thoughts and my opinions from the world would be up once again. As I close my journal this time, I know longer worry about communicating with others. I now believe that communication is a natural thing, which one must learn to become comfortable with. As for now I wait, with the words of George Bernard Shaw playing in my head, “The problem with communication…is the illusion that it has been accomplished.”