The Postal Service's Representation of the Demoralization of Americn Society | Teen Ink

The Postal Service's Representation of the Demoralization of Americn Society

November 7, 2007
By Anonymous

The United States Postal Service. Right in the title is United States, therefore anything they do, including their employees' actions, reflects on our entire nation. So is it okay to steal? If someone leaves a necklace on their desk and doesn’t make it clear it’s theirs, their name isn’t on it, they have no receipt, and some one steals it- is it okay?

Mathew Wilson, 17, hurried toward his mailbox for his days awaited letter. In it he was sure he’d find his gold necklace his friend had sent him.

He opened the mailbox and was greeted by a terrible sight. The edge of his letter had been bent and torn, it was quite apparent that what had been in the letter had been stolen. Wilson quickly called his friend and told him. His friend was shocked that it had happened and assured Wilson that he had sent the necklace in the letter.

Outraged that it had been so obviously stolen by a member of the postal service, he sped over to the post of office to complain. The people there were beyond unhelpful, not even knowing what to do in the situation. After while they told him nothing more than that they couldn’t do anything.

The letter had not been insured, therefore they were not to be held responsible for it and could do nothing about it, nor could he do anything about it himself. So Wilson’s gold necklace was forever gone with no one pinned for theft. “This is ridiculous, why would some one think to ensure it- why would they have to?” Is all he had to say for the matter.

Should Matt Wilson’s friend have insured the letter? Probably. But why?

Obviously, he should have assumed that a government appointed employee should not be trusted and would surely be a thief. Why on earth would some one depend on the morality of human beings and put trust in people appointed by the people who run this country. He truly was insane to think that any one is trustworthy with no cause to believe it.