Wake Up! | Teen Ink

Wake Up!

The world is ever-changing. The pace of each day quickens, the increasing hustle and bustle does not strike anyone as unusual. People become ever-so impatient as they carry out their lives in an “instant” world. In this type of world, it is of the utmost importance to satisfy any desire, need, or task now. Instant gratification, satisfaction, and pleasure are incorporated into everyday life. Frankly, society has become a like a broken record player, monotonously repeating, “Me, myself, and I”. The morals of our world have shifted away from the focus on the common good for all. We have turned the spotlight on ourselves and away from the true issues prevalent in our world. Citizens of the earth: wake up!

Success is a relative term. The media glamorizes fame, fortune, and eternal youth, yet how much of this is truly attainable? What kind of message is this sending to teenagers like me? Youth are pressured to have the ‘ideal’ appearance, or obtain the ‘hottest’ new item to live up to the standard set by society. Am I not valuable the way I am, without the makeup or size two clothes or newest Blackberry phone? Wake up world! Worth should not be measured by possessions or looks of an individual. Wake up! Life is too short to care for only yourself. Wake up! Now is the time to realize that there are bigger problems in this world besides a flawless complexion or perfect figure. What about poverty? Starvation? Disease? Crime? When will these issues be worth our time?

It is my personal opinion that society is stuck in a “terrible twos” phase. Toddlers know little more than their personal wants and needs. “I want! I want! Me! Me! Me!” Sound familiar? This type of attitude has slowly become acceptable in today’s society. Wake up! There is more to life than objects. There are actual needs that need to be met in the world. Why is it so hard for us to step out of our comfort zones and care about something worthwhile? Wake up! Influence others by your existence. Why present the same face shown by the media? It’s time for people to wake up and give the world a breath of fresh air. Isn’t it time for Earth to see a change? We should give others hope and encouragement, not tell them what criteria they must meet to be accepted in society. Please, world, wake up!

I once heard the saying “Be the change you want to see in the world”. This engraved a single idea in my head- “be different”. Our world is on the fast track to a society that is caught up on its own appearances and desires. Now is the time to sit up, wake up, and look up from our own personal bubbles. Now is the time to open our eyes and face the problems. Now is the time to care, encourage, influence, and inspire people to be different. Now is the time to change the world.