Cry me a river | Teen Ink

Cry me a river

September 20, 2010
By Islandgirlof95 BRONZE, Wilmington, Massachusetts
Islandgirlof95 BRONZE, Wilmington, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I’m sure you’ve heard the saying “cry me a river”, but if you really think about it many have. I know I have. If you were to suck it up and think you would realize that, it’s not just a saying or quote or whatever you call it. If I added all the tears I’ve cried inside and out I would have cried someone a river a while ago. But the thing is how many others have?
How many children cry every night of hunger or of a loss due to illness or starvation? I bet there tears could make the Amazon River look tiny, puny.
All of those with a relative in the army, the tears of pain and anguish as they hear about their misfortune, from the pain of missing them, for many the tears are of joy as they return home and arms are wrapped tightly around each other as though they were making up for the hugs and kisses that were put in a box for a rainy day. Those tears would make a river equal, doubled, tripled maybe of the Nile River, but just as wide and just as deep.
And if you really can push down your ego you may think; how many of those rivers could I have stopped? If I had just got off my high horse sooner and stopped and talked or helped.
The fact is that many people don’t think. They don’t think about the tears they cry. They build a bridge over it and walk over so they don’t get their nice new suit wet. They can’t be bothered with it. They are too busy thinking about where they need to be, want to be, and they don’t notice the little boy who is in the corner of an alley bundled next to his mother for warmth. They just keep going, and walking in their new prada shoes, driving in their shiny new yellow sports car, or talking on the phone too busy to hear the little boy coughing from pneumonia just behind them. Two steps away.
People don’t think about how literal “cry me a river” can be and is. It’s gotten to the point that if you saved all the tears…you would have a catastrophic tsunami. And you can’t avoid that by building a bridge over it.


The author's comments:
just another thought that popped into my head.