Body Talk | Teen Ink

Body Talk

September 8, 2010
By CheerBabe BRONZE, Lexington, South Carolina
CheerBabe BRONZE, Lexington, South Carolina
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
What is success? To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived; That is to have succeeded.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson


How many times have we looked in the mirror and not liked what we saw? How many times have we seen women on TV who are too skinny and thought, “I want be like that?”? Every girl feels this at some point in her life; - many never escape it. But it’s not our bodies that need a makeover, it’s our attitudes. Our mindsets have been programmed with magazines and television with a pathological need to be skinny, when we really need to focus on being healthy. Everyone’s body is different, and it is time for us to start embracing that. Just look at your friends. One might have a tall and long body frame, while another friend may have a short and petite figure. Cookie-cutter waifs are boring, not beautiful. Real beauty is in the details—the differences that make each of us unique. If we all just stop and take time to realize this, then we’ll save ourselves from a lot of stress. And here’s the real shocker-- guy’s don’t care about having a super skinny girlfriend, they want girls who are fit and have curves. They want a girl who’s less consumed with how she looks, and more focused on enjoying life. So stop starving yourself and start appreciating who you are. Next time you look in the mirror, think fit not fat.


The author's comments:
I was inspired to write this piece when a couple of girls on my cheerleading squad called themselves fat and it got me thinking, "Every girl thinks this and it's time that we realize that we are all beautiful, at any shape or size.". I want every girl to realize this and start seeing themsleves clearly!