Professional Athletes are Overpaid for their “Jobs”

Professional athletes are extremely overpaid for the “jobs” that they do. They only entertain for a living and get paid millions of dollars, in some cases, to do so. These athletes are paid for jobs that they only do for a certain number of games and do not even play the games over the course of an entire year. In most professional sports, they play in games for only a few months and then have a few months off. They do practice every day, but is that worth millions of dollars?

Athletes work only a few months out of the year, playing a limited number of games. For example, NFL football players, some of the highest paid professional athletes, only play sixteen regular season games, four preseason games and a maximum of four post season games, giving them a total of 24 games on the season. NBA players, on the other hand, do play a substantial number of games; they play 82 regular season games, and up to 28 postseason games. In Major League Soccer, the teams play 30 regular season games with a chance of five post season games. David Beckham is one of the highest paid players in the history of soccer and definitely the highest paid in MLS; he was paid 250 million dollars to play for five years and ended up getting hurt in one of his first games. I think that is absurd and a waste of money.

Most athletes are getting paid ridiculous amounts for short term contracts; for example Beckham is getting paid 25 million dollars a year for five years, and most people would not make that in their lifetimes. One of the main reasons that ticket prices are so high is that the fans have to pay for the “all-star” salaries. I think that the professional leagues should just start to pay their players normal salaries or at least substantially less than what they are getting now. I realize that practicing for months, day-after-day, would definitely take a toll on one’s body, but I don’t think that that is worth getting millions of dollars for. If the player’s salaries were lower, then ticket prices would also probably be lower and more fans would come.

What do professional athletes actually do for their “job”? They run around playing children’s games, shooting balls into baskets, hitting a ball back and forth, running down the field. The only reason they are there is to entertain people. Athletes aren’t even being acquired because of their skill level any more; it’s all about popularity and how much money that person can bring to that team by attracting more fans, meaning more money. Sure, most professional athletes work hard for a few months out of the year, but what are they doing when they aren’t working? Most likely they are out partying and getting into trouble, because they feel they can just pay off whoever they get in trouble with, using their insanely high salaries.

Some people might say that athletes need to be paid as much as they are because of their high risk of injuries. In some ways I think the athletes deserve to be paid well because they do entertain, and some do play a high number of games with risk of injury. However, the athletes can only be paid high amounts if fans have to pay huge ticket prices to see them play. Lower the ticket cost, lower the players’ salaries, it’s that simple. I’m not saying that the salaries should be lowered to $50,000, but they should be lowered to under a million per player, and if a player feels they need that much money because of injuries; maybe, they shouldn’t play if they are that injury prone. Continuing to pay these players high salaries means they will just want more and more money.

Basically, most professional athletes are paid massive salaries so that they don’t complain and go on strike. They do not even have a real job; most of them will only play until their late 30s or 40s and then they will be so financially secure from their huge salaries that they won’t have to work for the rest of their lives. I believe that most professional athletes are just entertainers who are kept around only to bring in more revenue for their team. The professional leagues should drop the salaries to average salaries of people because the athletes don’t even work for half of the year so why should they be paid so much? The money athletes are being paid would be money better spent on education or paying teachers or people who do something for the community, such as firefighters or policemen, and not spent on overpaid, stuck up, little cry-babies that many of the professional athletes are. I mean, come on, who should cry and complain if they are offered 10 million dollars a year? I know I sure wouldn’t.

star said...
today at 1:58 pm
this was good

dontmatterwhopostedacomme said...
Jan. 11 at 10:17 am
school suck :-( :-)

guset said...
Jan. 11 at 10:16 am
whoooooooooo

Zane said...
Athletes contribute little and are paid too much. It is unfair to those who get paid less and contribute more.

Zane said...

hfisch said...
Apr. 27, 2016 at 7:34 am
It is extremely hard to make it on a professional sports team. The people who get "overpaid" are the ones who have a lot of talent. Some people have book smarts, but these people have a talent in sports.

ggtrickster replied...
before i say anything, your opinion is fine, there is nothing wrong with it and it's fine to state and defend it, but that also means that i can do the same. So i know athletes should be paid decently, but i did some research and learned that athletes are paid more than the president (president is paid $800,000/yearly), they have to lower the salaries of athletes it is just fatuous what they get paid now

www.foreverafs.com said...
you know why they get paid a lot, overpaid as you call it? Its called a union, the players union. In order for the league to continue year by year, the players union needs to agree to base pays, compensation, etc etc. They are overpaid because of the union and lawyers/agents involved. Its politics.

Sally sun said...
Most athletes don't make a lot of money, most of them don't even last long b.c when their contract is over, most athletes lose their job right away and the only time they renew the contact is b.c they are popular or skilled athlete. Only a few of them make money off being a professional Athlete and you have to consider time factor as well b.c when their career is over they will either retire (the one who make money) or get a normal job and get paid like your average joe. They will never earn tha... (more »)

Code Lynd said...
The money athletes are being paid would be money better spent on education or paying teachers or people who do something for the community, such as firefighters or policemen, and not spent on overpaid, stuck up, little cry-babies that many of the professional athletes are. Athletes are payed by the owners of there respected clubs, not by the government. I'm all for paying these "people who do something for the community" but cutting an athletes salary will not give them any more money then they ... (more »)

anoutragedfellow said...
I have a few counter argurments to this article: If this sector of the entertainment industry can bring in such incredible amounts of money, why shouldn't athletes get paid $20 million a year if the team thinks that player is worth it, especially when you take into consideration they only get a piece of the revenue made from ticket sales and such. You even imply that you would be happy to accept $10 million a year if someone offered it to you, yet claim athletes should only make under a ... (more »)

NimmyJEutron replied...
Mar. 4, 2015 at 8:18 am
I don't think he was telling people how to spend their money, you're being unfair, and VERY critical. Would you not accept 10 million dollars a year? You said to get a job and quit whining, but you can't say you wouldn't take the easy way out.

S_I_K said...
I think athletes are overpaid and people that help the communitiy should be paid more than what they are being paid now.  

mikey123 replied...
thats exactly right.....

ananymous replied...
they are way overpaid

9991JSCH said...
This article is extremely bias. Players are definitely not "only being recreuited for popualrity".... you are extremely uneductated when it comes to sports. I liked when you were pointing out facts like when you mentioned Beckham's salary but to say that players are only being recreuited to bring in fans is completely bias and untrue. Keep your opinions to yourself. 

dsfsdf replied...
Jun. 16, 2013 at 9:04 am
Opinions are opinions. He is entitled to his opion, I am entitled to my opinion and you are entitled to your opinion. Don't need to agree.

1234567890plo replied...
Why would athletes not be recruited to bring in fans, what else would they be good for?

jzfs replied...
@ 1234567890plo You are so uneducated on sports it makes me life. You know HOW athletes bring in fans? by being good at what they do. Fans come to see LeBron and curry because they're terrific and entertaining players. you know how they got there? hard work and dedication. It's not hard to become a police officer or a teacher, someone with the most basic of intellect can become an elementary school teacher. It's hard to become an athlete. and people like watching them. that's why they get paid ... (more »)

kiwi12 said...
Well said and agreed.