All the World's a Masquerade | Teen Ink

All the World's a Masquerade

July 2, 2010
By pageturner PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
pageturner PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
34 articles 0 photos 94 comments

Favorite Quote:
It's okay to daydream.. just as long as you get to do some of those daydreams.


Why is it that we always want what we don’t have? Or more specifically, be what we’re not? No matter where you are you’ll always see at least one person wearing a disguise. I’m not talking about your average trick-or-treating costumes, and definitely not your romantic masquerade ball costume either. Lots of teenage or even pre-teen girls try to look older by any means. For instance, don’t you ever notice in your school that some girls try to get away with enough eyeliner to draw a picture with, or that they wear tops that barely cover them. I don’t know about your school, but in my school some girls can pass for 17. Pretending to be someone else isn’t just limited to females. Guys try to pretend to be older too. Even adults have to pretend now and then (or all the time). It’s not always for creepy reasons, like pretending to be someone you can trust.
Here are my theories as to why anyone could want to be such a poseur:
A)Said person could be trying to impress someone with their fake-self.

B)Said person could want the perks of the type of person they’re imitating. EX.: A teen trying to pose as eighteen to get into a club.

C)Or lastly, said person could just want to start fresh. Since of course a fresh start requires changing who you are.

On a last note to those who try to be something they’re not, let me say this:
Leave the acting to the people who you see on the big screen.