Do you believe in destiny? | Teen Ink

Do you believe in destiny?

April 13, 2010
By misslunalovegood GOLD, Manila, Other
misslunalovegood GOLD, Manila, Other
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
One broken dream is not the end of dreaming.


Destiny.

Oh, no. I’m not talking about the person we are about to marry someday, or the man with whom our soul is to be given in the future. And no, I’m not talking about perfect love at the perfect time, instead, what I’m talking about is the path we are about to take, the decisions that will determine our lives’ direction and the choices that we are about to choose.

Many individuals believe that before we are born in this complicated world, our destiny was already decided. They suppose that the lives they have been living were long-ago determined, and all they have to do is to jive and live the life they have been given. They take it that whatever they do and wherever they go, their destinies are responsible for it. Everything that happens to their lives such as the people they meet, the jobs they get, the trials they undergo are all because of destiny.

But they are wrong.

The so-called ‘long-ago decided destiny’ possesses no evidence. The idea evolved from the core of nothing, leaving us with no verification of the truth that lies with destiny. No one can really prove the belief for nobody has ever seen the forces enclosing the nature of our life.

On the other hand, evidences regarding the contrary of ‘long-ago decided destiny’ is visible in simple things and situations. For instance, the bible tells us that we have the power to choose between the evil forces and the angelic forces. Even in simple situations, the authority always lies within us. For example, in exams we have the choices on either we will get a high or low score. We decide what score we get, if we want a high score, we study. If we want a low score we don’t study. If we view the situation based on destiny and assume that our destiny is to get a low score, whatever we do, how hard we study and how late we stay up the night to review, we will always get a low score. Isn’t it sounds dumb and wrong?

Let us not complicate the matter on hand. The concept is simple enough to understand and comprehend by everybody, may it be the old or the youth. We people make our own destiny. We have choices in every situation, and the decision is always ours. We wrap up whether we want to be successful, or not. We decide whether we want to change, or not. We choose whether we want to be respected, or not.

Everything that happens on our lives isn’t because of destiny. All of the aspects of our lives are because of our decisions, decisions that gradually make up who we really are and where we want to be. All of our friends, our status, our jobs, our reputation, our character are based on our decisions.

Therefore, we make our own destiny.