They Deserve It | Teen Ink

They Deserve It

Imagine you get home from work one day, and you are waiting for a wife, husband, or child to come home. They are running late, and then you get a phone call. The loved one that you have been waiting for has been shot and killed. If this ever happened to me I don’t know what I would do, but I know I would want the person who did it dead. For this reason, I support the death penalty.

Some people say that the death penalty is inhumane, but is what the person did humane in any way? Why should they just stay in prison in a hospitable environment for the rest of their lives? In my opinion, they do not deserve the right to live in prison.

Other people, who believe that these criminals should suffer, believe that these people would rather die than rot in prison. This is, in fact, not true. It is proven that most criminals on death row or those who are sentenced to life would rather spend life in prison. “When respondents are given the choice of life without parole as an alternate sentencing option,...(less choose) the death penalty (47%).”(DeathPenaltyinfo.org).

For a person who has committed a crime worthy of death, prison should be seen as a palace. They feed you, you get health care, you can even see the dentist if you have a tooth ache. I would hate to know that someone who has killed one of my loved is in prison enjoying the food and the dentist.

I think that anybody who commits such a vile crime should be punished with death. I understand that this sounds very harsh, but these people should not be treated like normal criminals. They deserve more penalties and punishments.

In the end, all you have to think about is this: if somebody killed one of your family members, what would you want to happen to them?

on Jun. 10 2009 at 12:37 am
You have chosen a good topic but you should try describing more what makes a person deserve the death penalty vs. no death penalty.

maza.love GOLD said...
on Mar. 7 2009 at 6:37 am
maza.love GOLD, Las Vegas, Nevada
As much as I see your point, you ought to keep in mind that many killers and wrong-doers have mental disorders, which they have no control over.

There are no truly evil people that are just out to harm others. Perhaps you've been reading too much fiction? Hate and wanting bad on others will not help you or anyone else in any way. Really, what good will giving someone the death penalty do? Do people whose friends have been hurt think, "Wow, I feel so much better! I finally got that guy who hurt her killed!"? I don't think I could ever think that. I do, however, believe that the death penalty is acceptable to those who choose it. But that is obviously not what you are portraying.

In the future, I would suggest reading into both sides of the death penalty before writing about. (That's just a suggestion to help you improve.)

Despite what I've said, there is one final issue: Hate is consuming the world.

Please rid yourself of it.