That Whole Gay Marriage Thing | Teen Ink

That Whole Gay Marriage Thing

May 20, 2010
By Anonymous

This doesn't have just one specific "type".

This applies to love and relationships, social issues/civics, discrimination, and spirituality and religion.

This is a subject that will have a certain amount bias no matter how un-biased you try to be.

Coming from the opinion of a lesbian, this is going to be in favor for same sex marriage.

This became an issue for me for many reasons.

First of all, many people made remarks such as "If gay marriage becomes legal people will want to marry dogs next!"
If you want to marry your dog there is something incredibly wrong with you, and you should go get help. Marrying someone, another person, that you love and have a healthy relationship with is normal.

Secondly, "If gay marraige becomes legal...". Gay marriage already was legal before Proposition 8 came around. And they weren't teaching it in schools, and it wasn't corrupting our chilidren and people weren't all turning gay.

Thirdly, I understand that according to certain churches and religions, being gay is a sin and they should be punished for it...but that is their own opinion. They shouldn't be able to force their opinions to opress people. People who are gay do not try to force being gay onto straight people. They should leave their opinions to themselves.

Some more side notes, even though this was a proposition for California...we had out of state funding from places like Utah. That should have been illegal, because they don't live here...they can not fund our propositions for us.

For the churches that do not want to perform same-sex marriage, they could have just created a proposition for that, instead of cancelling the entire chance for gays to get married. There are still churches that would be open to performing gay marriages, and it wouldn't be hurting anybody.

Which leads me to my next point. If people had such an issue with gay marriage, why didn't they mind if the gay couples who were already married before the propostion was created?

And if there were couples who were already married before the proposition, then that would've cancelled out all of the people who were voting yes on 8's arguments.

I have just come out this year, and I have not faced as much discrimination as others have. But I've seen the faces of people who see me and my girlfriend together. At first, it's curious, which slowly turns into digust or a smile, depending on how open-minded they are.

It makes me so sad that there are rapists and murderers out in the world that get more acceptance than gays.

There is an example of this, a woman in a Mormon church came out to everybody, including her church and was ex-communicated...a man from that same church raped one of the 16 year old girls at that church was "forgiven" because he was just, "led astray".

Why does who I like make me a sinful person?
But a rapist can get forgive for his/her sin?

Why does the fact that I like a girl, want to stop people from being my friend?

Why does my sexual orientation matter more to people then to who I am as a person?


Why do I deserve less happiness then others?

I do not introduce myself as "the lesbian."
I am much, much, much more than that.

My sexual orientation does not define who I am.