What we Believe | Teen Ink

What we Believe

By LuisManuel SILVER, Clewiston, Florida
LuisManuel SILVER, Clewiston, Florida

Success is Uncommon, therefore NOT to be enjoyed by the common man. BE UNCOMMON."

-Cal Stoll

“People everywhere enjoy believing things that they know are not true. It spares them the ordeal of thinking for themselves and taking responsibility for what they know…”

People everywhere enjoy believing things that they know are not true. It spares them the ordeal of thinking for themselves and taking responsibility for what they know. It also helps them cope with life’s unpleasing realities and/or helps make the best excuses for not doing their work or for not working hard.

“Every man is a liar,” of that I am sure, but does that mean that every man has to live a lie? When we believe things that are not true we allow ourselves to be fooled into thinking that whatever is happening is okay. We fool ourselves into thinking it’s okay to steal if we are poor or that it’s okay to hate another person if they have more. That’s just ridiculous! Instead of stealing, we should be working. Instead of hating we should be learning, educating ourselves on how other people live and reach success. I saw this Gangland series not too long ago and one of the gangsters was saying how they would go into “old” people’s house because that old people had more! That made me so upset because I have grandparents that are old and I would be very angry if someone came into their house to steal what they have worked hard for. However, instead of finding a solution to what these thugs are saying we are recording their stupidities and allowing ourselves to believe the lie that they do not know better. I wish we could send them all to Iraq and have them go over there and steal…I bet they wouldn’t be on TV. Bragging about it!

This is all part of taking responsibility for what you do. I really believe (and maybe that’s the lie that I believe) people make excuses for others in order for them not to take responsibility for themselves. It’s easier for the police or law enforcement to say, “oh poor gangsters they have to steal,” when only God knows what they steal themselves. Or it’s easier for a parent to say, “my poor child just doesn’t know” instead of taking time to teach him/her. It’s easier for the teachers to blame the students instead of teaching the material or the student to blame the teacher instead of finding another way of learning the materials. It is easier for schools to blame parents and parents to blame schools, but only so that they do not have to be responsible. That’s all it is!

It’s funny because just the other day my mom had an event she was planning. She did what she had to do in order to have this meeting, but when she got to the place the doors were closed. My mom addressed the issue to the manager of the building. The manager blamed the worker, the worker blamed the custodian, the custodian blamed the secretary…no one took responsibility for not having the facility opened! It was hilarious and these are adults! These are the people that we are supposed to be modeling after. It just makes me laugh. I just hope that one day I could stop believing lies and start believing the truth that with hard work and dedication I can get out of here and to a place where people actually take pride in their work and work hard to make this country better not worse!

The quote above the piece sparked the creation of the piece. Comment it!