What is this World Coming To? | Teen Ink

What is this World Coming To?

April 13, 2010
By X_Dysfuntional_Lyrics_X GOLD, Cleveland, Ohio
X_Dysfuntional_Lyrics_X GOLD, Cleveland, Ohio
12 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
I have a lot of favorite quotes. I cant really pick.


I’m sitting here listening to “Where is the Love?” by the Black-Eyed Peas and I find myself asking that same question: ‘where is the love?’ Another question I seem to be repeating recently is ‘what is this world coming to?’, yet I’m left unanswered. Every day I hear about something that has me asking myself that. Whether it’s someone shooting another person over something stupid, like the story I heard the other day about the parking lot attendant that got shot in downtown Cleveland over a parking spot and money. Recently in the news there have been a lot of stories about shootings. I think it’s absolutely insane! Rapes, murders, kidnappings, robberies, etc that’s all I hear about anymore. It seems like I don’t go a day without asking myself ‘what is this world coming to?’, and it’s sad. It’s sad that a 19-year old girl is questioning the actions of our world. I shouldn’t have to be afraid to leave my home. I shouldn’t have to be afraid to walk down the street by myself, but I am. I don’t feel safe anymore, and I don’t think I ever will. It’s funny because people blame God for our suffering but it’s not his fault; it’s OURS AND OURS ALONE! Now I’m not a very religious person. I, myself, have questioned if there really is a God at times, but as I said it’s our fault that we are suffering. We are dealing with the consequences to our actions. Most people believe that the world will end in 2012 and honestly I don’t know if I believe that or not. I do believe that if we don’t clean up our act then we are screwed. I was talking with my cousin the one day and we both agreed that we thought that the earthquakes, tsunamis and all the natural disasters that we have been getting a lot lately is Gods way of saying if we don’t get our act together we are screwed, but that’s just our opinion. I hate hearing about someone getting shot, or a child getting kidnapped. It sickens me! And don’t even get me started on child and animal abuse those are two whole different stories! I hate that the elderly seem so afraid of teenagers, yet I can’t blame them because teens nowadays don’t give a crap. Every time I see an elderly person that needs help at like a store or something I want to help them but I’m afraid that I’ll scare them, even though I don’t try to. It’s not my fault. It’s just other teens that make them think that we are all bad, but we aren’t. Not all of us anyway. The people of this world just don’t care anymore from the looks of it. I wish it wasn’t like this, but what can I, one 19-year old girl, do? In my opinion I don’t think this world is going to get any better. I don’t think people are going to change for the better, if anything they’d change for the worst. Now before I go, instead of asking myself I’m going to ask you: What is this world coming to? Can you answer that? I can. This world is going to hell.


The author's comments:
I realized that I have been asking myself that question practically every day. So I just decided to write about it. Hope you like it :)