The Death Penalty | Teen Ink

The Death Penalty

By Cesia Acosta BRONZE, Prosser, Washington
Cesia Acosta BRONZE, Prosser, Washington

Thirty four of the fifty states in America permits execution, or in other words, have legalized the death penalty as a punishment for crime. Any punishment is legal as long as the punishment is constitutional meaning the punishment has to be fair according to the crime and it has to be neither cruel nor unusual. Yet, the method of execution as a punishment for crime has been used for a very long time, dating back to B.C. times (take crucifixion for example.) Ever since, the topic has been extremely controversial and causes much questioning, questions that require quite a bit of thought, character and personal opinion. Based on your own background and beliefs these questions require you to come to your own conclusion, are you pro or con for the death penalty and why? As for me, I am against the death penalty.

My main argument as to why I am against the death penalty is, who are we to decide when someone’s life should end? Usually the death used on those who have committed a torturous or many murders. I am completely confident that such a person who is able to commit a crime like this should be punished, yet why do it with the same mistake they committed? “Why do we kill people who kill people to show people that killing is wrong?” If in our society killing is immoral, where is the line drawn to distinguish whether who can “morally” kill? In our case, the government. Although my reasons to believe the way I do are somewhat based on my religious views I am sure there are many who think the way I think regardless of their religious backgrounds. If God gave you life then He should be the one to decide when to take it from you as well. As the mature, sophisticated adults that we all are (or should be), if a rock is thrown at you, will you throw a rock back? How can the government be the bigger person if their method of punishment is an eye for an eye?

I will never be against punishing a murder crime, but killing is not the proper punishment. Not only is the death penalty morally wrong but it also makes the U.S. government look quite hypocritical. Killing for killing does not sound nor look right. It is simply not right. Therefore, the death penalty, the U.S.’ method of crime punishment (an eye for an eye) is morally wrong. After all, an eye for an eye makes the world blind.