The purpose of life is to...eat food? | Teen Ink

The purpose of life is to...eat food?

By superasian2therescue BRONZE, Holmdel, New Jersey
superasian2therescue BRONZE, Holmdel, New Jersey

“My momma always said, ‘Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.’”

Yeah, we’ve all heard of the quote before; Forrest Gump’s mom was one deep person. However, that’s only his mother and his view of life. Have you ever really pondered about…your view of life? What other people say about life in general? After all, you could be allergic to the shredded coconut on top of some dark chocolate.

Why are we here? Stop reading this and think about that for a couple of minutes. Yeah, you. Stop reading and think. Think about why we were created, who created us, our purpose of life. What’s your opinion?

Since I’m a Christian, I believe that God created us in his image. Why did He create us, then? Revelation 4:11 says, “You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being.” So, basically, we were created for God’s pleasure of creating; He wanted to have other beings He could have a genuine relationship with, and we should cherish the fact that we know Him! The purpose of humans, I think, is to accept and make the most of what God gives us. God loves us and sent his son Jesus down from heaven to shed his blood for us mortals, so that we could have a chance to be sent to heavenly heaven (heh). However, if you’re not Christian, there are other ways to look at life, too.

The theology student decided his academic pursuits were a travesty and that he should go forth and seek the meaning of life for himself. And in the course of his travels, he was directed to a distant peak in the Himalayas where a great sage resided. Arriving at the sage’s austere cave after a trek of many days, the student prostrated himself and asked humbly, “O revered Master, what is life?”

“Life,” pronounced the wizened old man gravely, “is the scent of jasmine after a spring rain.” The student frowned.

“But Master,” he objected gently, “an Incan wise man encountered on the steps of Machu Picchu told me life was a thorn like a needle of tempered steel.”
The sage nodded, unperturbed, and said, “That’s his life.”

So, are you an optimist or pessimist? Just because your life might suck doesn’t mean that it has to. You can change your life! What’s that? You can’t? Well, how do you know if you’ve never really tried? If you did and failed, try harder! Failing is a part of succeeding; giving up is just lame. The above story was meant to be a joke, yes, but if you dig a little deeper, you can see that it has its own inner meaning. If you still can’t change your pessimist ways, then here’s a quote for you and your glass that’s half empty:

Life is like an onion; you peel off layer after layer and then you find there is nothing in it. ~James Gibbons Huneker

Happy? Or rather, even more depressed?

Speaking about depression, let’s talk about getting older and death (sorry, I’m getting even more morbid by the second). What happens after death, really? Maybe we’re just some weird alien that just ate a little funky mushroom, and this is all a really weird (but realistic) dream. Or maybe this isn’t a dream – maybe it’s an actual video game that we ourselves play (but in the future), and when we die in the game, the game is over for us, but we are immortal? What happens in between life and death? O_O I really don’t know, but according to Christians (again), after we die, if we served our Heavenly Father well and were forgiven for our sins, we shall gain eternal life in heaven, standing next to Our Creator, our friend, our one and only God. In between life, well, you just have to ride all the ups and downs of the Ride of Livin’. Also, when you reach 40, think about yourself this way: “Forty is the old age of youth; fifty is the youth of old age.” – Victor Hugo. Makes you feel a whole lot better, right? :)

I started laughing so hard when I read the following quote; yeah, it may be considered “dark humor,” but I still think it’s pretty darn funny. Here it goes! “I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather...not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.” – Will Shriner

HA (“lol” for you 21st century people)! Death is a serious subject, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t make it a less-serious sounding topic! It’s a way of life; if people from the beginning of time didn’t die, they would still be here, but barely. Their bodily functions would gradually decrease – by now, they’d probably be dust. They’d die anyway, really. Also, those who suffer from extremely painful diseases, such as osteoporosis (when your bones are so weak and brittle even lifting something up or bending over could cause fracture) would not have to suffer anymore.

Well, now it’s your turn. What happens after you die? What’s the meaning of life (OTHER THAN 42)? Share your thoughts with your family, friends, and see what they think. Heck, share it with your dog! It’s extremely interesting to listen to other people’s opinions on this subject. Want to hear some more? Here are some things my friends think the purpose of life is.

“The purpose of life? Ha! There is no purpose! Just live your life! Life is goooood!”

“Uhh…”

“The purpose of life…the purpose…the…sleep? Yeah, that makes sense.”

“The purpose of life is to give life a purpose.”

“THE PURPOSE OF LIFE, YOU SAY?! TO EAT. EAT LOTS OF DELICIOUS FOOD.”

Have fun exploring your own opinion!

Inspiration? A simple rosebud in my garden. These 979 words were all created from the miraculous birth of new life.