Fast food

Let's face it. Fast food is convenient, cheap, and tasty. That's why billions of people have eaten there ( 99 billion, according to some McDonald's signs, and that's not including all the other food chains) and that's why those billions will continue to eat it. The truth is,fast food restaurants are destroying us. We eat it with no regard to the harm it does us; and our society. Where once there were quaint, locally owned, organic restaurants where you actually had to wait for your food, there are now huge corporate chain restaurants where you can drive up and get your meal in under a minute. It's addicting too, you're brain sends the message saying it wants more, and more, and more. To how many people has this happened? One day they're healthy and fit; a year later they're sick and overweight. Go on a walk and look around you. How many people do you see that are overweight or obese? Chances are 9 out of 10 of those people regularly eat fast food. If you eat fast food yourself, I don't blame you. I used to eat it myself. I stopped because I suddenly realized what would happen if I continued on.

The reality is, our bodies need nutrients from stuff like fruits and vegetables. We need lots of whole grain in our diet. The bun of a fast food burger isn't whole grain.It's made using only one part of the grain, and it's not the nutrient part. Then if we're still talking burgers here, we come to the meat part. The beef comes from cows slaughtered assembly line style and torn apart by dirty machines.Cleanliness is not a factor here. Most often poop contaminates the burgers.

We are all independent people here. We have the right to make our own decisions. I've decided not to give my money to fast food companies. I won't support them. No one has to do that, but I seriously believe that if more people start making good decisions, the world will be a better place.

O.Riet said...

Anyone here heard of the Slow Food movement? "Where you sit down in a resteraunt, order a meal and wait for it, like a human being". Quote, my mom describing it to me.

I live and work on an organic farm. we only farm a few acres but no joke. We produce enough food to make an entire meal for 8 people almost every day, and keep up with two farmers markets a week, and a few summer festivals as well.

O.Riet replied...
And to those of you who don't like tomatoes or carrots or other stuff like that, make sure you have a fresh locally grown (preferably organic) one befor you make up your mind for sure. The difference, is amasing.

areebaization said...
Honestly, the only reason I hate fast foods is because they are unhygienic and fatty, atleast more fatty than the food cooked at home. But ofcourse the rest of the reasons you stated are very relevent.

Trilobite This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

For the most part, I agree, except you seem to state that just by eating fast food regularly you can become overweight/obese.  If I were you, I would have factored in the amount of exercise the person gets, what he or she gets (I know, they're all equally high in calories), and other variables I didn't mention.  I know many people who eat a lot of fast food but are in very physically fit condition, for example.  Other than that, I agree.

From a writing perspective, ... (more »)

WritingSpasms said...
Totally agree! Fast food grosses me out, to the point where I actually have gone years without it. If I can get on with life without it, then I'm good with that. I actually don't miss burgers as much as I used to when I first started going "pro-health".

CarrieAnn13 said...

Nice article; it's very true.  I haven't eaten any fast food for over six years and I don't understand why people think it's delicious.  It's absolutely repulsive!

Anyway, excellent article.  The only criticism I have is watch your spacing.  Sometimes you don't space properly after a period or a comma.

julian This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 19, 2011 at 11:29 am
Thanks! I'll make sure to check for proper spacing better in the future! And yeah, fast food is gross and disgusting. I think I read somewhere that dog food is healthier for human consumption than a McDonald's burger...ewww 

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nice article, and definitely very true. I completely agree with everything you said. Your examples were excellent in proving your point, and everything flowed very well. 5 stars :)

wildchild62626 said...
Jan. 2, 2011 at 4:28 am

That is all sooo true! And even coffee shops like starbucks have a lot of fatty and unhealthy drinks with too much coffee. America needs more salad stops too because Salad can really be tasty as well. 

Really nice article, you really have writing talent!

Yeah exactly! I think we need more locally owned food places that offer healthy food. It would help the economy as well. Thanks so much for checking out my work!

Shawna B. said...

Awesome article!!! I hope you win (wink wink) :) Your bbf, 

Shnay

P.S I guess I do have an account! lol

ZAVERY said...
That's a very nice point of view! You're right, fast food restaurants are pretty popular nowadays. Although, fastfood isn't necessarily always bad for you. Burger king serves fish in a burger and have mostly healthy meals. Well, not here in Canada, because that only happens in Asia, where I used to live. Although, nice point of view!