Should Teen Plastic Surgery Parties be Banned? | Teen Ink

Should Teen Plastic Surgery Parties be Banned?

March 31, 2010
By Cassidy Priestley BRONZE, Jersey City, New Jersey
Cassidy Priestley BRONZE, Jersey City, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

As unlikely as it sounds, now a days it’s not about the good ole’ fashion birthday party, but instead teen plastic surgery parties are the new trend. Yes, I said it plastic surgery parties for teens! As weird and terrifying as it seems these parties are a major hit to rich teenagers. I disagree with the whole idea of having these parties and think they should be banned.


To me the whole idea of a plastic surgery party sounds repulsive. Plastic surgery should not even be a mere thought to 15 and 16 year old girls and boys. Teenagers should be focusing more on school and future goals. Teens are just relinquishing their youth for plastic surgery, and these parties can be mentally unhealthy.


Plastic surgery is very dangerous and for people/teens to promote plastic surgery parties is even more dangerous. Of course, doctors will say, “It’s fine” or “You’re in good hands”, so they can make a quick buck, but they will not remind patients of how many people die from cosmetic surgery complications. 7 to 12 percent of plastic surgery patients die from the procedure. It may not seem a lot but 20 percent of people suffer from infection and bleeding. The risks may not be high, but there is always that chance your teenager could become a cosmetic surgery death statistic.


Finally, some people do not understand the influence plastic surgery parties have on teenagers. Plastic surgery can be very addictive, especially if a patient starts at a young age. People or teens that go to these parties also face a psychological disorder called Body Dysmorphic Disorder, also known as BDD. When teenagers go to these parties, they are influenced by plastic surgeon consultants about nose jobs, breast implants, lip injections, etc. They feel more insecure after they get the surgery and feel
they need more surgery.





Teen plastic surgery parties should be banned. They are unhealthy, dangerous, and can create cosmetic surgery addictions. Beauty is skin deep and I do not think teens need pointless parties that promote getting under the knife to prove it!


The author's comments:
I hope people will understand the dangers that follow from teen plastic surgery parties.