The Definition of a Role Model | Teen Ink

The Definition of a Role Model

March 25, 2010
By Jordan Coverson BRONZE, Montclair, New Jersey
Jordan Coverson BRONZE, Montclair, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The dictionaries definition of a role model is a worthy person who is a good example for others. I think the definition of a role model is a bit different. To me a role model is someone who does good for the better of others, and therefore influences others to do the same. What I’m trying to say is that a role model does good work because it’s the right thing to do, not because others are watching.

The best role models, I believe, are the ones close by. Not the celebrities and TV stars, but the people in your community. I’m talking about the volunteers, the police and firemen and women, and the teachers at your school. I’m talking about the ones that do good deeds for you, not for the cover page of the National Enquirer. Not to imply that celebrities don’t do good deeds, but to recognize the people who do it off camera. The people I call role models are the ones close by who reach out their hand even when no one is looking.

So I think the dictionaries definition of role models is leaving out just a bit. That’s why my definition of a role model is a worthy person who does good anytime, and all of the time no matter who’ looking. I hope you find someone to fit your definition of a great role model.