The Deadly Industry | Teen Ink

The Deadly Industry

Did you know that there are no federal laws providing protection for the millions of animals who suffer and die on fur farms? Or that almost, if not all the animals are fully conscious while undergoing procedures that will eventually kill them? Those disturbing facts are only two of the thousand that relate to the fur industry today. PETA (an animals rights group) works on the stop of animal cruelty, including the fur industry. PETA has published over 80 print ads to recognize this problem and to try and minimize, if not solve it.

Eighty-five percent of the fur industry’s skins come from animals living captive in fur factory farms. The Methods used in fur factory farms are designed to maximize products, always at the expense of animals. The most common found animal found at these farms are minks, followed by foxes. All however are only farmed for their fur. Seventy-three percent of fur farms are located in Europe, and twelve percent in North America, and the rest are separated throughout the world.

No laws protect animals in fur farms, and the killing methods are gruesome. Animals may have rods that are forced into their mouths or anuses, and are then electrocuted. Another method consists of poisoning the animals with strychnine, which suffocates them by paralyzing their muscles. However the worst of the methods in my opinion are the gassing and neck breaking to conscious animals.

Not only are animals suffering from this inhumane industry, but the environment is as well. Studies have shown that the amount of energy needed to produce a real fur coat is approximately 15 times that needed to make a fake fur, which looks identical. On top of that, fur is not biodegradable due to the chemical treatments applied to stop the fur from rotting. The process of using these chemicals causes water contamination. Do you really want to risk your health for a reason as low as killing animals?

I am one hundred percent against the fur-industry and those that stand next to it. Animal cruelty will only end when the public refuses to buy or wear fur. Wearing fur supports a cruel industry and there are many other substitutes for the fashion icon. Supporters of animal rights believe that animals have an inherent worth, and that every creature has a right to live free from pain and suffering. Do you?