Reincarnation | Teen Ink

Reincarnation

By Haley Hallaran BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
Haley Hallaran BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

"Birth is not a beginning; death is not an end. There is existence without limitation; there is continuity without a starting-point. Existence without limitation is Space. Continuity without a starting point is Time. There is birth, there is death, there is issuing forth, there is entering in." – Chuang Tzu
Reincarnation- The rebirth of a soul after death, into a new body. James Leninger, a 6-year-old boy of parents Andrea and Bruce Leninger think James is a 21-year-old Navy pilot that was shot down on a mission over the Pacific, reincarnated. Even those who knew the pilot think James is James Huston Jr. As the parents describe, James was acting severely strange, pointing out parts of a plane and having severe nightmares screaming, “airplane crash, plane on fire, little man cannot get out.” They said he would scream that in his sleep and they didn’t want to wake him because of how emotional he looked and was acting. For most people, they need this type of evidence in order to even consider reincarnation. Also, considering the fact that there are 2.1 billion Christians in the world supporting the fact that reincarnation is not real, makes it hard to believe. I’m writing this paper because I merely believe in things that don’t quite seem real or

possible. It gives me the chance to think about things that seem fantasy like. If we could incarnate after death into another body and keep our soul living on, then that would be amazing. I’m not writing this paper forcing you to change your mind and think the way I do, I’m just simply just trying to put faith in the idea.
Reincarnation falls into many different religions that have a different perspective of each. For example, Buddhism and Hinduism believe in samsara, the process of rebirth, occurring over five or six realms of existence. One is to be reborn on account of desire. A person who has desire is a person who wants and enjoys worldly pleasures. Siddhartha Guatama taught that it was difficult for the first time to rebirth as a human. It’s very rare to enter the next life as a human, unless when they died they with hold a peaceful mind as they leave. But if we die with an unpeaceful mind we may have an unsuccessful rebirth, becoming a sort of animal. This is very similar to the nightmares we have when fallen asleep, because we had kept an agitated mind. The Dalai Lama once said: "If science can disprove reincarnation, Tibetan Buddhism would abandon reincarnation... but it's going to be mighty hard to disprove.” Sikhism believes that if we attain good deeds throughout our lives, we will live a better life. On the contrary, if we carry sinful and evil deeds we will incarnate to “lower” life forms, such as snakes, lions, zebras, monkeys, hippos, etc. Basically, Sikhism believes in reincarnation being based off the law of cause and effect. It’s all up to our actions that lead us to being incarnated or not. Jainism believes that devas(gods) reincarnate as well.

The Christianity religion considers the idea of reincarnation to be incompatible with the teachings of Christ and the Bible. The Christians generally believe this because they don’t believe in incarnating after death and getting a “second chance” but moreover going to Heaven or Hell. They believe in only one chance on earth, then once you die you go somewhere else, not become something else. Christianity believes an act of “goodness” must be required before salvation is granted. The Tradition Christianity doctrine states that humans can never attain the perfection as god, or the perfection that god expects of them. However, there are sects such as the Sethians, and the followers of the Gnostic Church of Valentinus that believe in reincarnation, and they were persecuted by the Romans for this. They believe that believing in reincarnation is deception to the devil. Ancient Greek philosophers like Plato and Socrates attempted to prove the existence of reincarnation through
philosophical proof.

In a lot of ways, people need the evidence and proof that someone incarnated or experienced someone else’s incarnation. But even so, God, has no proof that he created this world, but still people believe and believe so much that it seems real. They put faith in the fact that God is everything that in the end you begin to think they are right. You can believe in God, and the greater power and not reincarnation but in retrospect, aren’t the two the same? The Christians in my opinion, have no proof that God walked on this earth, they simply just believe. They believe so much that it seems real to them. I don’t see how reincarnation is any different. It’s like Santa Claus. In order to receive those gifts under the tree you have to believe in Santa Claus period. Like Santa Claus, and God, reincarnation just needs someone to believe. For example, Henry Ford was convinced he had lived before, most recently as a soldier killed in battle at Gettysburg. Here is a quote from the San Francisco Examiner from August 26th, 1928.

“I adopted the theory of Reincarnation when I was twenty-six. Religion offered nothing to the point. Even work could not give me complete satisfaction. Work is futile if we cannot utilise the experience we collect in one life in the next. When I discovered Reincarnation it was as if I had found a universal plan I realized that there was a chance to work out my ideas. Time was no longer limited. I was no longer a slave to the hands of the clock. Genius is experience. Some seem to think that it is a gift or talent, but it is the fruit of long experience in many lives. Some are older souls than others, and so they know more. The discovery of Reincarnation put my mind at ease. If you preserve a record of this conversation, write it so that it puts men’s minds at ease. I would like to communicate to others the calmness that the long view of life gives to us.”
I’m not writing this persuasive writing to try and change your mind about reincarnation but instead tell you why I think it is possible. I would rather think of life going on then it ending at that’s that. It doesn’t seem right for our life to just be game over, like in the video games. It may seem almost too crazy to believe that we can incarnate as another person, but wouldn’t it be amazing if we did? My purpose in writing this paper was to put my opinion out there, and have others think the way I do. I’m not saying change your religion if you’re a Christian and believe we reincarnate after death, I’m just saying to think about it. Think about other things that seem “out of the box” and be a little adventurous. It may not be real, sometimes I have a hard time believing that our life, our soul could go on. I think that in order to make things happen and real is to believe in these possibilities, and have a little faith.

I just really believe in things that don't seem quite real. It gives me a reason to have faith.