The Book vs. The Movie

A large portion of movies today started as novels. Many think it’s adequate, if they’re interested in in the story, to watch the movie rather than read the book and then believe they’ve gotten everything out of it.

This is untrue. A novel has so much more to offer than a film. There’s a much greater range of detail and emotion between the pages of a book.

Much more often than not, information from a book is misunderstood when its made into a movie. Something will be missing, or won’t add up to how things are in the novel.

Great books are often made into not-so-great movies, because the story has already been told in the best way. The film is, quite literally, just a shadow on the wall in comparison.

Great movies, on the other hand, can easily come from poor novels, due to the novel likely telling a good story in a poor manner.

It feels as if society is much more inclined to watch a film version of something than they are to read it; a collective laziness, as I see it.

Anne K. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

I agree with you completely!  Books have so much more in them than movies. 

PS Thanks for commenting on my book review!