A Tangerine Mess | Teen Ink

A Tangerine Mess

February 22, 2010
By scjensen BRONZE, Overland Park, Kansas
scjensen BRONZE, Overland Park, Kansas
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

They. Are. Everywhere. The parking lot outside of Solarium fills quickly. More and more tangerine people pile from their cars. Malibu Barbie walks in unhappy, and out with a rancid glow. Don’t they know that having skin 3 shades darker than normal does not make them attractive?

Tanning for great spans over a lifetime can lead to serious health issues. Skin is the largest organ in the body; it has the most space for a mutation to occur. Tanning only increases the chance of a mutation, which can lead to cancer. The chance for cancer grows every time a person goes tanning. Is it really worth it to risk your life in order to be darker?

The answer to that for everyone should be no. However, there are a special few who cook their skin regardless of the risk. As for me, I am never going to spend time in one of those scalding metal death traps. I like my skin rare.
If it makes a person feel better about themselves cook their skin for 20 minutes, they have some serious issues. Self-esteem comes from what is on the inside. Every single person has the ability to feel good about himself or herself, no matter what the situation. It is not going to do squat to make yourself the color of a traffic sign.

You and your tangerine, cancerous skin sweater are no better than me.