Barriers to Thinking in Our Culture

As a developing country, we are always learning. But within the past several years, our learning has diminished as a result of low self esteem and lack of parental involvement. The average twelve-year-old knows sixty percent fewer vocabulary words than he did fifty years ago. And it’s time we did something about it.

Because low self esteem begets downheartedness, a student who complains about studying is one example of his weak confidence. Another reason why he does not want to study is because he would rather chat with friends on Facebook, Myspace, or Twitter. Two solutions would be: to have biblical influences and Christian friends. Christian friends are the backbone of our lives; they give us encouragement when we are depressed, and keep us motivated.

Parental involvement is lacking in our nation. After a long day’s work, the average parent is too engrossed in television to help their children with their homework, or give them the encouragement they need to achieve. Without their support, students are more behind in school rather than ahead because their own teachers at home are too lazy to help them.

Evidently, we need to make some changes in our society. A child who does not want to study is a sign of laziness, half-heartedness, and therefore their academic downfall. Parents need to be involved with their children, being role models for them and setting examples for their future. In our world today, we need Christian friends who will backbone us and give us the encouragement we need to persevere.