My Body Isn't Your Body | Teen Ink

My Body Isn't Your Body

By Skizzy BRONZE, Sugarland, Texas
Skizzy BRONZE, Sugarland, Texas

It seems that now, the only thing most teenage girls care about is being “skinny”, not “healthy”. Everywhere I go, I see signs or commercials advertising quick weight loss things. “get slim fast”, “ lose that extra baggage”, “lose your love handles”. Nowhere does it say be healthy, eat right. Every website says the same thing. Skip this meal, don’t eat that, be SKINNY.
Why is it that we have to be skinny? I understand that almost every person would like to be the perfect size, but why is everyone going for skinny instead of healthy? Why aren’t they making a lifestyle change that’ll help them now AND later in life?
All I see are friends starving themselves, people with eating disorders. It bothers me, because now it seems that just to fit in, you have to be skinny. Even if you have a little weight on you, people degrade you and don’t accept you.
It’s no wonder so many teens today are striving to be skinny, they want to fit in. Why isn’t anyone telling them that that isn’t the right thing to do?
Why isn’t anyone helping them?
I keep wondering that, and I can’t help but think, ‘If someone would tell them to be HEALTHY, we wouldn’t have so many teenagers with eating disorders, so many teens starving themselves so they can ‘look better’.’
Maybe if someone would tell them, maybe if we helped, there wouldn’t be so many teens killing their bodies just so they can fit in
It‘s not their body to control, its YOUR body. You choose what goes in it, you choose what doesn’t . Everyone has a different body, so why are we all trying to be the same?

I wrote this because it seems like so many teens are dead set on "skinny" not "healthy", and that could be a deadly thing.