Why Vegetarianism?

I bet the cows scream inside when the butcher slices her throat. And the turkeys squeal when they are dropped into hot water 140 degrees Fahrenheit. Or how about the male pigs when they are getting their testicles ripped out without painkillers. Not to mention the conditions these animals live under in factories.

So why, why do we do this. Is it for our daily portion of meats, or is it for our own selfish endeavors? Either way it isn’t fair. We take control of living beings with hearts, feelings, and souls. Oh and what about the milk that “strengthens our bones and teeth?” Do we let pigs drink human breast milk? No, we don’t, so why are we drinking the milk that belongs to the calves? All of the questions only lead to one solution, vegetarianism.

Vegetarianism should be a ‘must do’ in America. We shouldn’t be breeding then eating our precious animals. We should be saving their lives and eating healthy. It is proven fact that the human digestive system was never fit to digest meat. Now a day so much red meat has harmful chemicals and toxins. So why do we even include it in our daily diet? I wonder if a parent would feed their child a cheeseburger if they knew it had chemicals in it, from steroids that were injected in that cow, to effectively speed up the growth process. This is exactly why the new generation’s grow rates are exponentially higher than ever before. This is also probably where all of these rare diseases are coming from.

I believe in my heart that everyone should go vegetarian. Extend your life by eating well, it’s for our own goods. Sure, we talk about having healthier futures, but how can we set a good example for newer generations when we are the generation that settles for less. We must step up before we are too late.

Vegetarianism offers the opportunity to save animals while maintaining, sustaining, and extending our lives. So why are we still waiting at home, at the dinner table cutting the steak that we plan to scarf down; or at McDonalds ordering a McChicken from the dollar menu? Perhaps the fried chicken is irresistible. However, maybe next time we visit the grocery store, we’ll think for more than just ourselves.

Laserwraith said...
Sept. 20, 2010 at 9:29 am

Only humans have souls.  

Or, what would you say if I said plants feel bad about being eaten?

MadisonReneeJane said...
If we don't eat animals, what purpose will they have? Anyways, animals eat each other. No matter what, animal cruelity will never cease to exist.

skywitch said...

Let me start off by saying very good essay!

I also believe that the conditions that these animals are in is harsh. But I think that if we let all these things on their own they would die off, ether by over hunting or they wouldn't be able to support themselves. I think that there should be a compromise. I think that we should farm raise most of the animals that we eat but we should give them better conditions. Let the fish interact with other fish, give the cows some more elbow room.more »)

alayapoetgirl replied...
thank you for the input. (=

Wolf_Howl said...
Apr. 26, 2010 at 2:59 am

Lovely essay; dripping with pathos and missing the strong flavor of logos. 

Sorry, but such an essay fails to move me. I just submitted an essay today about Animal Rights and why is is wrong, so hopefully that will be submitted and prevent me from having to explain everything here. 

Anyway, do you have any source that says that people aren't made to eat meat? Because, while I have heard it before, I have never seen any such proof of this claim. Let's say your claim is ... (more »)

ElisabethElizzLiz said...
Apr. 11, 2010 at 10:48 am
I'm a vegitarian and i totally agree with you. Vegitarians save lives and in turn, are saving the planet. I constantly get the "but God put animals on this earth to eat" comment. And people considering becoming vegitarian don't get enough support from their friends and family, in my opinion, which is why a lot of people give up after a few days. I'm a member of PETA and a proud vegitarian of only 4 months but I'm still going strong and am in it for the long run. Thank you for writ... (more »)

alayapoetgirl replied...
Thank you for the support! I totally understand where you're coming from...

lollipopwithm&ms said...

the milk we get from cows is not stealing from their babies, it's like eating chicken eggs (unfertilized, of course.)

and god put animals on this earth for us to survive. you inferred that all animals are equal when you said that its unfair for us to take cow milk (which its not) so if we have to give up meat, then all animals should have to. and then we would all die. dont mess with the well balanced food chain. if people want to be vegetarians they will, don't try to change the world... (more »)

alayapoetgirl replied...
Sure, they say God put animals on this earth to eat, or if thats what you think. But is it really fair to kill them in the way we do. Is that the only purpose for animals? For us to enjoy them through eating? I'm not so sure about that. I mean look at these factories that are allowing these "innocent" animals to live in filthy conditions, maybe not all but most. Now you can't tell me there's nothing wrong with that!

RenaissanceMan replied...
Apr. 5, 2010 at 8:42 am
Although I am religious, for the sake of this argument I won't include those views. Now, I'm not a vegetarian and I enjoy eating meat. I'm aware of the fact that not all of it is healthy and I do try to cut back somewhat. But that's beside the point. I don't condone animal torture for the sake of packaging meat for humans to eat. I believe animals have rights as well, and that if they are used for food, their deaths should be as humane and painless as possible. But animals are an important part ... (more »)

alayapoetgirl replied...
This is very true. (The availability of foods in different countries isn't always the same everywhere.) You make a good point. Sure people in third world countries kill animals and eat them...but not the way us Americans do. And becoming a vegetarian isn't all about the animals either, don't get me wrong. It's about being healthy, and so many people think meat is vital and you can't get your iron etc. anywhere else. I think people need to get a better understanding of what becoming a vegetarian ... (more »)

Cesare said...
I like where you're going with this. Perhaps you should address more of the opposition, and go into depth about the reasons that why we're doing is wrong, compared to what it does for us.

emster7013 said...
Wow this is really great i like it
and thanks for commenting on my article thing

pampalooga This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 16, 2010 at 7:57 am
Awesome! this gave me a whole new look on being a vegetarian. very persuasive. loved the last part of McDonalds.