Should we ban cell phones in schools? | Teen Ink

Should we ban cell phones in schools?

January 29, 2010
By housergirl96 BRONZE, Wiliamsport, Pennsylvania
housergirl96 BRONZE, Wiliamsport, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“ Oh my gosh, ban cell phones from school grounds? I don’t think so.” When I heard about this topic I thought to my self why in the world would they do that? I mean there are many positive things about being able to have cell phones on school grounds. So I would have to strongly disagree with banning cell phones from school grounds.

My first opinion to the subject of banning cell phones from school grounds is that, kids should be able to carry a cell phone on school ground in case of an emergency. One example is if a student falls and gets hurt the other student would be able to call 911 faster than having to walk all the way to a classroom just to use the phone. Like they could be dead for that time it takes to do that. So this would come in handy if that were to happen.

My second reason is that kids would not have to use it during class they could use it during lunch or in the hallway. If t hey use it these way it cant be a distraction to the other kids. It also will not be a distraction. To there learning and others learning and it wont make the teacher mad that is teaching.

The third reason of mine is that if a student needs a ride home and the school is locked they can call home to get a ride. Also if school gets out early the students can get a ride home or with someone else.

Some say that it could be a distraction to others and their and their learning, but its weakness that I already told you about, is that there cell phones can be used in a lunchroom in the hallway and on the bus. I mean really it does not take a rocket scientist to figure that out.
So I will have to strongly disagree with the topic of having cell pones banned from school grounds for these reasons: in case of an emergency, or needing a ride home or being able to use it during lunch and the hallways.

The author's comments:
i really like this topic