Keeping Music Real | Teen Ink

Keeping Music Real MAG

Music is a powerful thing. It evokes feelings and has the power to bring people together. Music is also a way for people to express themselves and share ideas, whether through poetic lyrics or throbbing anthems. But today, artists are not known for their music, but for how extravagant their outfits are and how many times their wealthy relatives can get them out of jail. And thus music is lost.

Pop and rap music has evolved into a shallow, image-obsessed industry that conforms to what the public wants to hear and see, eliminating the focus on the actual music. Mainstream music is no longer composed of emotion, but instead themes of money, sex, and fame. Pop and rap performers are notorious for their run-ins with police, their latest diet, or their most recent affair. Photos and rumors fly while the music is ignored.
Not all musical groups or soloists begin like this. Many of these artists are original and talented, but they may feel the stress of being underappreciated and turn to the money side for support. Often their songs are written by experts who know what is appealing to a certain age group, and the musicians’ faces are plastered on as many magazine covers as possible. Soon their supposedly new and improved songs can be heard blasting out of car windows. But these songs are empty shells, devoid of creativity and the original thirst of the artist to make an impact or convey a message.

Countless pop and rap songs today fit into a very slim mold – not just the music, but those who perform it. Some female musicians struggle with eating disorders because of the increased attention of the media and the public on their looks instead of their musical talent. Most popular songs follow the same pattern – singable, with a catchy beat and a flashy band.

These songs teach listeners that what’s on the outside is important, and money matters. These messages are also shown through music videos containing sexual themes, as well as people wearing “grills” and other decorations meant to show their wealth. Many rap videos promote the “gangsta” image, encouraging people to act tough, embrace violence, and swear. These videos can propagate false views of African-Americans.

MTV is not helping. It has become increasingly racy and plays only what the public wants to hear. And unfortunately, the majority seems interested in either sickly sweet, generic pop or stereotypical, bleeped-out rap. Kids and teens everywhere are swimming in these songs, which are often degrading to women and minorities, and inappropriate.

This past summer at camp, almost all the girls in my bunk were obsessed with the same songs, which had been the case the previous year, and the year before that. These songs, including Avril Lavigne’s “Girlfriend,” were blasted in the bunk at all hours from campers’ iPods. Whenever I tried to play music I enjoyed, or introduce them to some decent songs (in my view), they would say that everyone except me liked their music. They had me there.

None of this is to say that all pop and rap music today fits this mold. Artists like Sublime and Jurassic 5 produce rap without the silly extras – just great rhythm and pulsing lyrics. A lot of high-quality pop music exists as well. Although some talented musicians thrive, the entire music industry has devolved into something that’s almost unrecognizable.

Music is no longer just for pleasure, but instead is a huge part of the economy. It is valued for its power to influence people everywhere. Not only does the music business make money from songs, but lots of useless products carry rap and pop stars’ names and faces.

Why do most teenagers exclusively listen to pop and rap music when so many other genres exist? Maybe it’s because everywhere we look, we are bombarded with the same music: on the radio, on TV, on the computer. At school, pop and rap are discussed religiously. Perhaps they have never listened to anything else. Or maybe peer pressure is part of it. Another reason some people listen to popular music is because it is easy listening, with no abnormalities, since anything unique is considered weird.
There is no solution to the “pop problem.” It’s called popular for a reason – many people enjoy it. People who like pop and rap music are the same as people who like rock and punk music – they are just fond of a particular genre of music. It’s not a heinous crime, and there’s no easy way to sway their views.

Still, many artists are ruined because of the increased focus on money and image. My suggestion is not to buy into music like this when you can explore something new. Expand your horizons. Dig up your parents’ old records and CDs. You never know what you might find.

on Jan. 28 2012 at 7:18 am
maizyiscrazy GOLD, Washington, District Of Columbia

I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe in miracles. ~Audrey Hepburn

I agree partly with this person, and partly with the author

MotivatedInk GOLD, Columbia, South Carolina

Some people dream of success...while others wake up and work at it!

I completely agree with you. Music has given me nothing to look forward to because of how much it influences people. What's worse that influence is passed down through many generations and cycle continues to repeat itself over and over again. This puts my thoughts about the music I listen to and other people's music together. This goes to show how different people are; you can almost tell the kind of person they are by the music they listen to.

on Jan. 6 2012 at 9:41 am
dintandmint GOLD, Hamilton, Other

"And these children/that you spit on/ as they try to change their worlds/ are immune to your consultations/they're quite aware/ what they're going through" -David Bowie

I agree wholeheartedly with this article. The pressures of the media (needing to be popular) is influencing everything, including music. I am a sucker for lyrical prowess, lyrics being such a raw and meaningful form of self-expression. And have in spite of some efforts (you can"t judge, if you haven't looked at a subject in a previously unbiased manner) I was unable to find very much modern music that doesn't cater to other people and popularity, and rather is truly an art form, where one is expressing themselves. I live for, and through music. And I want the experience to be as real as possible for everyone, not some synthetic, made to be popular, untruthful pre-meditated thing. Music is an art, and should be treated as such.

on Dec. 15 2011 at 7:50 am
exoskeletaI BRONZE, New City, New York

"Me gusta."

If there's anything here that infuriates me, it's the fact that one would say that rap is shallow. Pop too, for the record has deeper meaning to it... People don't take the time to decode it, which is why the main author claims that it's shallow. Rap is a very infulential type of music. No, I'm not going to do "mad drugs, yo" and such, but I will find both meanings in rap. One should actually try to appreciate something before they criticize it. I strongly disagree with this article.

Definately! :)

RunningFree said...

Wow, you basically put all of my thoughts on music into that.  There is not one thing in this opinion paper that I disagree with.

I am personally a music freak and often analyze what has happened to our society along the lines of music (and culture alike).  When we have Phy. Ed., and no other iPods are available, my classmates are "forced" to listen to mine.  Then they all complain about how they don't know any of my music and how it is so werid (I mostly listen to alternative rock).  This has really made me think of what has ever happened to expanding our horizons on our choices.  Most of my classmates are very narrow minded, and I believe part of the reason is that they don't try anything new for themselves.

celare BRONZE said...
celare BRONZE, Durham, Other

I have such strange thoughts.

I completely agree with what you are saying. I have not even looked at the chart music for almost a year, because I am all too aware the songs are all identical to one-another with an irritatingly empty message.

I know where you're coming from with the view of most people conforming to like what is most frequently played on radio stations or MTV. Two years ago, I fell in love with Ed Sheeran, and have followed his career since, yet then he was relatively unheard of in my area. I introduced his music to my friends, which they said was rubbish. However, as soon as he became more mainstream they were singing his praises. It's so frustrating!

imaginer BRONZE, Carlisle, Massachusetts

A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is a reality.

I completely agree with you! I think especially at school peer pressure influences kids to only listen to pop and rap. I personally hate rap, and I love some of the "old" artists. And when I do listen to pop music, I just focus on the tunes, because the lyrics and artists are so messed up.

on Nov. 23 2011 at 9:45 am
Akane-Ree BRONZE, New City, New York

\"She\'s got it out for me BUT I WEAR THE BIGGEST SMILE"

O_O till teusday. Aimee Mann. I LOVE AIMEE MANN! SHE'S SUCH A GOOD SINGER!

on Nov. 23 2011 at 9:41 am
Akane-Ree BRONZE, New City, New York

I actaully know a lot of people who like classic rock such as the beatles <3 and there's some good music right now in the world, such as *paramore* and sara barielles. I for one am very into bluegrass music, especially crooked still.

Thinker said...
on Nov. 23 2011 at 5:16 am

It isn't necessarily, because maybe thats just the music you like.  In my opinion, it is more about the negative emphasis on music artists.  some songs might be racy or inappropriate. i try not to listen to those, but sometimes theyre just catchy and i cant help listening-as a band member i pay more attention to the backround.

I have a friend(white) who sings/listens to japenese music all the time.  i think its a little strange how she know more japanese music than the typical american stuff, but i do like her music...

it just means you like variety. which i applaud you for. i just don't like soulja boi

of course it's not.

on Nov. 1 2011 at 8:29 am
Musicalartist, Xxxxx, Other

but is it bad if i like EMINEM, SOLJA BOY, and LIL WAYNE as well as CHRISTIAN MUSIC, JOURNEY, and VAN HALEN? 

is it bad to llike rap too?

on Nov. 1 2011 at 8:26 am
Musicalartist, Xxxxx, Other
is it bad that i liek both christian music and eminem and solja boy?

on Nov. 1 2011 at 8:24 am
Musicalartist, Xxxxx, Other
everyone thinks it is weird because I listen to Japanese music while I am white, and i want to speak japanese!  You shouldnt judge me from the language of my music!  I agree!

on Nov. 1 2011 at 8:18 am
Musicalartist, Xxxxx, Other
i love to sing, so i completely understand what you are saying.  All of today's music is mostly about sex, drugs, dating, or other explicit topics.  music needs to have more of a meaning to people instead of that.  Music is a way to express your feelings, and do what you love.  Personally, I like some of Eminem's songs, but i think we need more TRUE music in kid's ipods.

on Nov. 1 2011 at 7:21 am
MagusEceerb SILVER, Buttville, South Carolina
I am a three-year percussionist and in my high school's marching band, so I have a pretty fair idea about music.  The problem here is that for all the musically uneducated people who listen to popular songs, all they see is the glamor tagged on.  However if you actually listen to the instrumental you'll realize there are a lot of unique, difficult and interesting parts beneath it.  Artists like the black eyed peas and other popular rap groups generally have a lot of glamor, just like marching bands do, because it's not a song you're playing, it's a show your putting on.

on Sep. 18 2011 at 4:43 am
AyeshaMuzaffar BRONZE, Lahore, Other
Cool. I really liked your article (:

Rocinante SILVER, Wexford, Pennsylvania
I agree! Good article, by the way. But seriously, do they really need to swear and sing about inappropriate stuff...really! I like the rhythm and the intsruments and all but man, those lyrics are icky sometimes! And all the swearing...ack