Keeping Music Real This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Music is a powerful thing. It evokes feelings and has the power to bring people together. Music is also a way for people to express themselves and share ideas, whether through poetic lyrics or throbbing anthems. But today, artists are not known for their music, but for how extravagant their outfits are and how many times their wealthy relatives can get them out of jail. And thus music is lost.

Pop and rap music has evolved into a shallow, image-obsessed industry that conforms to what the public wants to hear and see, eliminating the focus on the actual music. Mainstream music is no longer composed of emotion, but instead themes of money, sex, and fame. Pop and rap performers are notorious for their run-ins with police, their latest diet, or their most recent affair. Photos and rumors fly while the music is ignored.
Not all musical groups or soloists begin like this. Many of these artists are original and talented, but they may feel the stress of being underappreciated and turn to the money side for support. Often their songs are written by experts who know what is appealing to a certain age group, and the musicians’ faces are plastered on as many magazine covers as possible. Soon their supposedly new and improved songs can be heard blasting out of car windows. But these songs are empty shells, devoid of creativity and the original thirst of the artist to make an impact or convey a message.

Countless pop and rap songs today fit into a very slim mold – not just the music, but those who perform it. Some female musicians struggle with eating disorders because of the increased attention of the media and the public on their looks instead of their musical talent. Most popular songs follow the same pattern – singable, with a catchy beat and a flashy band.

These songs teach listeners that what’s on the outside is important, and money matters. These messages are also shown through music videos containing sexual themes, as well as people wearing “grills” and other decorations meant to show their wealth. Many rap videos promote the “gangsta” image, encouraging people to act tough, embrace violence, and swear. These videos can propagate false views of African-Americans.

MTV is not helping. It has become increasingly racy and plays only what the public wants to hear. And unfortunately, the majority seems interested in either sickly sweet, generic pop or stereotypical, bleeped-out rap. Kids and teens everywhere are swimming in these songs, which are often degrading to women and minorities, and inappropriate.

This past summer at camp, almost all the girls in my bunk were obsessed with the same songs, which had been the case the previous year, and the year before that. These songs, including Avril Lavigne’s “Girlfriend,” were blasted in the bunk at all hours from campers’ iPods. Whenever I tried to play music I enjoyed, or introduce them to some decent songs (in my view), they would say that everyone except me liked their music. They had me there.

None of this is to say that all pop and rap music today fits this mold. Artists like Sublime and Jurassic 5 produce rap without the silly extras – just great rhythm and pulsing lyrics. A lot of high-quality pop music exists as well. Although some talented musicians thrive, the entire music industry has devolved into something that’s almost unrecognizable.

Music is no longer just for pleasure, but instead is a huge part of the economy. It is valued for its power to influence people everywhere. Not only does the music business make money from songs, but lots of useless products carry rap and pop stars’ names and faces.

Why do most teenagers exclusively listen to pop and rap music when so many other genres exist? Maybe it’s because everywhere we look, we are bombarded with the same music: on the radio, on TV, on the computer. At school, pop and rap are discussed religiously. Perhaps they have never listened to anything else. Or maybe peer pressure is part of it. Another reason some people listen to popular music is because it is easy listening, with no abnormalities, since anything unique is considered weird.
There is no solution to the “pop problem.” It’s called popular for a reason – many people enjoy it. People who like pop and rap music are the same as people who like rock and punk music – they are just fond of a particular genre of music. It’s not a heinous crime, and there’s no easy way to sway their views.

Still, many artists are ruined because of the increased focus on money and image. My suggestion is not to buy into music like this when you can explore something new. Expand your horizons. Dig up your parents’ old records and CDs. You never know what you might find.

JOURNEYisAWESOME said...

Definately! :)

RunningFree said...

Wow, you basically put all of my thoughts on music into that.  There is not one thing in this opinion paper that I disagree with.

I am personally a music freak and often analyze what has happened to our society along the lines of music (and culture alike).  When we have Phy. Ed., and no other iPods are available, my classmates are "forced" to listen to mine.  Then they all complain about how they don't know any of my music and how it is so werid (I mostly listen to alter... (more »)

celare said...

I completely agree with what you are saying. I have not even looked at the chart music for almost a year, because I am all too aware the songs are all identical to one-another with an irritatingly empty message.

I know where you're coming from with the view of most people conforming to like what is most frequently played on radio stations or MTV. Two years ago, I fell in love with Ed Sheeran, and have followed his career since, yet then he was relatively unheard of in my area. I introd... (more »)

imaginer said...
I completely agree with you! I think especially at school peer pressure influences kids to only listen to pop and rap. I personally hate rap, and I love some of the "old" artists. And when I do listen to pop music, I just focus on the tunes, because the lyrics and artists are so messed up.

Akane-Ree said...
Nov. 23, 2011 at 9:41 am:
I actaully know a lot of people who like classic rock such as the beatles <3 and there's some good music right now in the world, such as *paramore* and sara barielles. I for one am very into bluegrass music, especially crooked still.

MaxRide said...
Nov. 1, 2011 at 8:24 am:
everyone thinks it is weird because I listen to Japanese music while I am white, and i want to speak japanese!  You shouldnt judge me from the language of my music!  I agree!

MaxRide replied...
Nov. 1, 2011 at 8:29 am :

but is it bad if i like EMINEM, SOLJA BOY, and LIL WAYNE as well as CHRISTIAN MUSIC, JOURNEY, and VAN HALEN? 

is it bad to llike rap too?

Thinker replied...
Nov. 23, 2011 at 5:16 am :

It isn't necessarily, because maybe thats just the music you like.  In my opinion, it is more about the negative emphasis on music artists.  some songs might be racy or inappropriate. i try not to listen to those, but sometimes theyre just catchy and i cant help listening-as a band member i pay more attention to the backround.

I have a friend(white) who sings/listens to japenese music all the time.  i think its a little strange how she know more japanese music than the t... (more »)

Metalforever replied...
Jun. 5, 2013 at 10:50 pm :
The world will be forever lost when it comes to music until they find metal and rock,true music with quality,substance and heart.

MaxRide said...
Nov. 1, 2011 at 8:18 am:
i love to sing, so i completely understand what you are saying.  All of today's music is mostly about sex, drugs, dating, or other explicit topics.  music needs to have more of a meaning to people instead of that.  Music is a way to express your feelings, and do what you love.  Personally, I like some of Eminem's songs, but i think we need more TRUE music in kid's ipods.

maizyiscrazy replied...
Jan. 28, 2012 at 7:19 am :
okay, sorry, but dating IS NOT an "explicit topic"

Breece6This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 1, 2011 at 7:21 am:
I am a three-year percussionist and in my high school's marching band, so I have a pretty fair idea about music.  The problem here is that for all the musically uneducated people who listen to popular songs, all they see is the glamor tagged on.  However if you actually listen to the instrumental you'll realize there are a lot of unique, difficult and interesting parts beneath it.  Artists like the black eyed peas and other popular rap groups generally have a lot of glamor, just l... (more »)

ayeshamuzaffar This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 18, 2011 at 4:43 am:
Cool. I really liked your article (:

Pumpkinscout said...
I agree! Good article, by the way. But seriously, do they really need to swear and sing about inappropriate stuff...really! I like the rhythm and the intsruments and all but man, those lyrics are icky sometimes! And all the swearing...ack

she-is-a-strange-duck said...
THANK YOU!!!! I was martyred at my camp this year for prefering Beethoven to Eminem, which ticked me off a little because really, it was none of their business what music I liked. And yet somehow they all complimented me on my piano-playing in the dining hall... funny how these things happen...

Laura_Oliver said...
Aug. 27, 2011 at 9:47 am:
You honestly took the words out of my mouth. I'm really into classical music (and I'm not saying that just to sound like a nerd), which is much preferrable to synthesizers and computer programmable stuff that anybody can do. Did you know that it is possible to purchase autotune online (I want to get the sample to see what it does)? That means any fool can make 'good' pop-style music. But real, old-fashioned instruments take a lifetime to master, and overall they sound much more genuine. I have b... (more »)

Laura_Oliver replied...
Aug. 27, 2011 at 9:52 am :
That's why I like Adele (like everybody else in the world), because you can actually hear guitars and drums and pianos and bells and other real instruments, not to mention she sounds great.

KatsviewThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 19, 2012 at 5:19 pm :
I agree-- and she's a nonconformist, as she doesn't do things to be popular, and she writes non-racy songs with real emotion . . . I love Adele (she's a really cool and funny person as well, not just a musician)!

Aderes18This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

I agree a lot with you but a lot of times these artists sometimes have really good songs that no one's ever heard of. And sometimes they are not mass-produced. 

Good music is hard to find on the radio(where the majority of us teens get it) but you can find some good stuff on ITunes. Good music  is easy to find, you just have to look for it.

SecretSearcher This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I'm so glad there are other people out there who know the devious and dark secret side of the music industry. I also don't like the fact that many of today's artists may not be specifically musically talented, but are simply willing to do anything to get media's attention and therefore become popular and therefore sell their almost 100% auto-tuned music. It makes me sad just thinking about it! I personally love k-pop, j-pop, classical, punk, jazz, and christian rock, but even with all of these d... (more »)