Keeping Music Real | Teen Ink

Keeping Music Real MAG

Music is a powerful thing. It evokes feelings and has the power to bring people together. Music is also a way for people to express themselves and share ideas, whether through poetic lyrics or throbbing anthems. But today, artists are not known for their music, but for how extravagant their outfits are and how many times their wealthy relatives can get them out of jail. And thus music is lost.

Pop and rap music has evolved into a shallow, image-obsessed industry that conforms to what the public wants to hear and see, eliminating the focus on the actual music. Mainstream music is no longer composed of emotion, but instead themes of money, sex, and fame. Pop and rap performers are notorious for their run-ins with police, their latest diet, or their most recent affair. Photos and rumors fly while the music is ignored.
Not all musical groups or soloists begin like this. Many of these artists are original and talented, but they may feel the stress of being underappreciated and turn to the money side for support. Often their songs are written by experts who know what is appealing to a certain age group, and the musicians’ faces are plastered on as many magazine covers as possible. Soon their supposedly new and improved songs can be heard blasting out of car windows. But these songs are empty shells, devoid of creativity and the original thirst of the artist to make an impact or convey a message.

Countless pop and rap songs today fit into a very slim mold – not just the music, but those who perform it. Some female musicians struggle with eating disorders because of the increased attention of the media and the public on their looks instead of their musical talent. Most popular songs follow the same pattern – singable, with a catchy beat and a flashy band.

These songs teach listeners that what’s on the outside is important, and money matters. These messages are also shown through music videos containing sexual themes, as well as people wearing “grills” and other decorations meant to show their wealth. Many rap videos promote the “gangsta” image, encouraging people to act tough, embrace violence, and swear. These videos can propagate false views of African-Americans.

MTV is not helping. It has become increasingly racy and plays only what the public wants to hear. And unfortunately, the majority seems interested in either sickly sweet, generic pop or stereotypical, bleeped-out rap. Kids and teens everywhere are swimming in these songs, which are often degrading to women and minorities, and inappropriate.

This past summer at camp, almost all the girls in my bunk were obsessed with the same songs, which had been the case the previous year, and the year before that. These songs, including Avril Lavigne’s “Girlfriend,” were blasted in the bunk at all hours from campers’ iPods. Whenever I tried to play music I enjoyed, or introduce them to some decent songs (in my view), they would say that everyone except me liked their music. They had me there.

None of this is to say that all pop and rap music today fits this mold. Artists like Sublime and Jurassic 5 produce rap without the silly extras – just great rhythm and pulsing lyrics. A lot of high-quality pop music exists as well. Although some talented musicians thrive, the entire music industry has devolved into something that’s almost unrecognizable.

Music is no longer just for pleasure, but instead is a huge part of the economy. It is valued for its power to influence people everywhere. Not only does the music business make money from songs, but lots of useless products carry rap and pop stars’ names and faces.

Why do most teenagers exclusively listen to pop and rap music when so many other genres exist? Maybe it’s because everywhere we look, we are bombarded with the same music: on the radio, on TV, on the computer. At school, pop and rap are discussed religiously. Perhaps they have never listened to anything else. Or maybe peer pressure is part of it. Another reason some people listen to popular music is because it is easy listening, with no abnormalities, since anything unique is considered weird.
There is no solution to the “pop problem.” It’s called popular for a reason – many people enjoy it. People who like pop and rap music are the same as people who like rock and punk music – they are just fond of a particular genre of music. It’s not a heinous crime, and there’s no easy way to sway their views.

Still, many artists are ruined because of the increased focus on money and image. My suggestion is not to buy into music like this when you can explore something new. Expand your horizons. Dig up your parents’ old records and CDs. You never know what you might find.

Bvhnbbbvgh said...
wow! I have a iTunes Card Code absolutely free! Click on http://freeitunesforever.com

Tinyperson BRONZE, Farmington, Connecticut

"There is nothing impossible to him(her) who will try." - Alexander the Great

I'm really annoyed when people are talking about how much they're into music because they listen to the same four-chord pop/rap tunes over and over again. You might have a lot of songs, but they're basically all the same thing. I challenge you to list 10 songs by different pop/rap American artists with more than 4 notes in the chorus. Even 1 song is difficult to find. It's all computer-generated sounds. Auto-tune is also incredibly annoying. If you can sing, you don't need it. The worst part is the pointless, inappropriate, sub-consciously brain-washing lyrics. The only rap I've found as of now that I can appreciate is by Lin Manuel-Miranda.

darkheart143 said...
on Aug. 17 2017 at 11:12 am
darkheart143,
i am a little musician who is just lucky to be in a band and i wanna share one thing which is my opinion i think music industry is running by people who care less about music but more about money.Before this decade we had alot of one hit wonders and they made something out of their talents and people loved their creativity till now and we blame that music now days dead. there are a lot of musician who wanted to keep the basics and play their music of what they know.Yes there is such a community but people are not paying attention to it because they want to see top artist or bands who just play fast or be heavy and electroic(computer) and stuff.The only thing that they are missing is to have a feeling in their music.So its my request to all of the musicians and listeners out there if you want to enjoy music then support artists and stop browsing more and more and stop comparing .You know because of that musicians are not doing what they should they are doing what you want them to be. Support rock genre support classic rock n roll or metal support good pop music and kill that dubshit music it is taking over most of the real musicians and kill the auto tune sucker who make us fool in expensive concerts doing playback

on Jun. 29 2017 at 1:23 am
ultramarine358, Santa Clara, California

"i like apples. apples are sweeter than most of my friends."

I see what message you are trying today. In this era, we hear the same set of the "New Hits" blasting on any radio nearby, or perhaps at school, on T.V., and more. Before music became over-publicized mainstream, there were many different kinds of music. Country. Classical. R&B. But now, it's pop or rap. But there are still a few popular songs. Songs with singers of real talent. But it's only the first few songs. After they become famous, songs become a typical romance song with cheesy lyrics and no meaning whatsoever. But there are some artists out there. Keep an eye out for them.

jennnylt said...
on May. 26 2016 at 11:06 am
jennnylt, Amarillo, Texas
I would agree that pop and rap are not the music of choice, and that majority of it does not have a deeper meaning. Music should be based on the sound and lyrics, the musical genius, and not how much money is thrown into the advertisement of a song.

runandgo BRONZE, Havertown, Pennsylvania

sometimes you get run down. sometimes life throws dirt in your eyes and it stings and you can't see for a few minutes. even after you get it out your eyes are all red and your vision is s***ty... but eventually, whether through tears or maybe just time... you start to see even clearer than before. life is not always good. which is why music exists. why i believe God exists. and why there's always a pint of coconut milk ice cream in my freezer.

thank you!!

i am super into music myself, and i agree that there are a lot of problems with the music industry, especially when relating to the focus on looks (i love that you brought that up). however, you yourself point out that mtv airs sexist and stereotypical videos, and then go on to stereotype pop and rap music. it's not all great, sure, but not all of it is swill with no merit either. and of course, rap is greatly important to african-american culture. if you look at artists such as n.w.a., their songs dealt with issues such as economic imbalances and inner-city problems. on the flip side, a lot of rock and punk is EXTREMELY misogynistic and violent towards women. i love pop punk, but some of the bands have a very sexist attitude. it's also extremely disappointing to watch as the scene devolves into a place where if bands have a lot of young, teenage female fans, they are discounted completely, and their fans are torn apart. the internet culture has changed music, especially alternative, back to a place where straight white men are more valued over other groups, which i find extremely disenheartening. that's why i really dislike articles that exhibit elitist viewpoints. liking what you like is cool, but it doesn't make you better than anyone else. that being said, your article has of course made good points to think about.

on Apr. 5 2016 at 8:24 am
I completely agree with this. Being a metalhead, I hate rap and pop, and this article clearly explains why. Pop needs to go back to its musical value that it was in the 1980s and 1990s, not today where all people care about is "beats".

Edubs SILVER said...
Edubs SILVER, West Jordan, Utah

"But there's a hope waiting for you in the dark, you should know you're beautiful just the way you are. And you don't have to change a thing the world could change its heart. No scars to your beautiful, we're stars and we're beautiful." - Alessia

This is a really good article, nice job. I totally agree with you. I do listen to the music that comes on the radio but I have gotten to a point where I enjoy more then what comes on the radio. In my opinion I believe that true music lovers enjoy many different kinds of music and not just what's popular.

WordsArePowerful BRONZE, Danielson, Connecticut
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
You can now tag other users by using "@".

real said...
on Jan. 1 2016 at 1:18 am
my love for music is real...i love all genre since the age of 4....its a record to me if the melody meks me feel something...the lyrics shud always be a bonus! u shud feel the music then the words u truly feel fit it!! end of. i have a million melodys in my head but cant play an instrument...but the words i have to my music r floorless..given the chance...i cant sing as well as others but can sing enough for my songs to have a meaning xxx plz sum 1 giv me the chance for my words to be sung!!! xxx

on Dec. 7 2015 at 9:58 am
ColdplayForever BRONZE, San Jose, California

"Coldplay fans are the best in the world. If you like Coldplay, then you're obviously very intelligent, good-looking, and all-around brilliant."
~Chris Martin

I definitely agree with what you wrote. All of my friends like all the same music, and honestly it is pure boring to me. There is the rare song that I actually like, but all the others just sound like a police car's siren to me, to tell the truth. I usually listen to bands from many years ago, and every time I suggest that my friends listen to, Pink Floyd, for example, they say, "No way!" I listen to pop music, but also Coldplay, and The Bangles, and generally what I find is that the music I listen to more, is a billion times better than what they call "Music" these days. Very well written article! :)

jedjake BRONZE said...
jedjake BRONZE, Austin, Texas

This is the way the world ends not with a bang but a whimper- T.S Eliot

You go girl

on Dec. 2 2015 at 5:14 am
dazzeliance BRONZE, Vadodara, Indiana

no one owns the romance between human and dream!

I had been thinking about this rap fads since long....just wasn't able to put it down on the paper.......you have written exactly what I feel....good job

ShuviTheGeek said...
ShuviTheGeek, Cupertino, California
Amen. I totally agree with your opinion. I usually listen to indie, punk, and alternative rock with good lyrics, not the garbage they call "music" these days. Great job with the article! It was concise and to the point.

on Jul. 1 2015 at 7:36 am
CNBono17 SILVER, Rural, South Carolina

Lego ergo sum (Latin—I read, therefore, I am)
The pen is mightier than the sword—unknown
Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in purity—1 Timothy 4:12

I totally agree with this! I listen to mostly Christian music, with some classical and movie scores and Broadway musicals thrown in, and some of the pop songs and rap I've heard makes me kinda sick. Thank you for defying my school and letting me know I'm not the only one who's seen this problem!

I listen to classic rock, blues, rock n' roll. That kind of stuff. It has more emotion in it today than 99% of what's on the radio. A lot of it is "Oh watch me do the most ghetto dance of all time" (sorry if I offend) and "Don't tell your boyfriend that we did it." I mean, really? I've seen so many kids grow up WAY too quickly. I hated that I had to grow up on the spot due to my grandpa's death. But this is completely different. Kids think it's okay to go out there at 11 years old and get pregnant. They don't really think about the consequences. My siblings are saying things that I didn't know about until I was 14. They're burying their faces in their phones and listening to music that has the equivalence of a third grade reading level. Really now? And we wonder why we're behind on academics. They're focusing too much on education. They need to add music classes back in. I was raised on rock n' roll and the blues. I love it. I play it on my guitar every day. It has more meaning than what the songs on the radio today do.

nikki said...
Personally, I listen to heavy metal. However, I see nothing wrong with this music. People should listen to what they enjoy, whether it is mainstream or not. Just because one person may view pop lyrics meaningless, does not mean that some can not find a personal meaning in it. Not to mention in my opinion it doesn't matter what the artist does in the spare time because I am not listening to them because of that. I am listening to them because I like the sound of their music. Another common belief people have is that expression in music is shown only through the lyrics, when it is infact shown in the melody and beat as well. Also, as much as people like to argue it, eating disorders are caused due to lack of self esteem. (This is coming from someone who is diagnosed with anorexia) People say society causes these issues. However, we are society and we choose how to run our lives. This is not the fault of anyone but ourselves.

annycs13 GOLD said...
annycs13 GOLD, Davis, California

"The less you reveal, the more people can wonder.."

-Emma Watson

This is a very interesting and well spoken article. I think that every word is very true and important. Good job.

Shadowboxer SILVER, Charlotte, Vermont

"Do what you feel in you heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway."
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Thank you for this opinion, it speaks the truth and it speaks it well. I have experienced similar things such as your recollection of peers not being so willing to listen to "real" music. Music needs to be broadened and appreciated as it once was, thanks for this! Nice work