Aunt Alexandra reveled | Teen Ink

Aunt Alexandra reveled

By Rachel Berry BRONZE, Houston, Texas
Rachel Berry BRONZE, Houston, Texas

In the novel, To kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, first impressions are not always accurate. Sometimes the reader must get to know the character to get a true idea of who they are. Many characters grow and mature throughout the novel, therefor one can not be sure of their values and morals until the end. A great example of one of those characters is Aunt Alexandra. Although Aunt Alexandra seems extremely harsh at times, she really has everyones best interest at heart.

In the beginning of the novel, when Aunt Alexandra first arrives one gets the impression that she is uptight and rude. Throughout the novel, Aunt Alexandra proves this assumption wrong. One example of her caring behavior is when she first arrives to live with Atticus and states, “We decided that it would be best for you to have some feminine influence.” [Lee pg. 170] Aunt Alexandra would not have come to live with them if she did not care for Scout’s well being and future as a lady.

Throughout the novel Aunt Alexandra is perceived to be judgmental and harsh; but, on the inside there is something completely different she hides in fear of rejection from the town. If society did not put so many pressures and regulations on women, then Aunt Alexandra might act in a completely different way. She might have a different opinion on the Tom Robinson trial and have the courage to express it. When in the kitchen with Maudie after the news of Tom Robinson’s death, Aunt Alexandra worries about Atticus “I mean this town, they’re perfectly willing to let him do what they’re too afraid to do themselves... willing to let him wreck his health doing what they’re too afraid to.” [Lee pg. 316] Aunt Alexandra knows that if it was acceptable then the town would be on Atticus’s side. She worries about his well being because he is going against the code of society and knows that helping Tom is not in his best interest.

Towards the end of the novel, Aunt Alexandra once again proves that she cares for everyone. Although she may not be the best at showing her true emotions, she does the best she knows how. After Jem and Scout have been attacked by Bob Ewell, Aunt Alexandra blames herself because she realizes that she should have gone with them to the pageant. As she comes to this conclusion she says, “Atticus I had a feeling about tonight- I- this is my fault. I should have-” [Lee pg. 359] If Aunt Alexandra had gone with Jem and Scout they most likely would not have been attacked. Aunt Alexandra blaming herself gives one an accurate glance of how she really is.

Throughout the novel the way Aunt Alexandra treats her family is her own way of showing how much she cares for them. She is not the best at showing how she really feels but time and time again she proves her love in settle ways. Despite Aunt Alexandra giving off the impression of someone who is unkind and spiteful, she proves that she does care for Jem, Atticus, and Scout. As well as what is best for them many different times throughout the course of the novel.