Babylon- The Ancient Civilization | Teen Ink

Babylon- The Ancient Civilization

January 21, 2010
By Callie SILVER, Houston, Texas
Callie SILVER, Houston, Texas
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I am going on an expedition to several countries to learn about the many different ancient civilizations. First on my expedition is Babylon in present day Iraq. By going to the present day location of the many civilizations I realize my journey may be dangerous, but I am willing to risk this. The latitude of Babylon is 32°34'N and its longitude is 44°22'E. In the Babylonian Empire, the rulers were the Amoritic people. The city was divided into three mains classes: awilu (upper class), musheknu (free but of little means) and wardu (slaves.) All groups were protected by law and had minimum rights; although, the upper class was vastly favored. The ancient city of Babylon, or Babil, meant “gate of God.” Its location today is south of Bagdad, Iraq and is marked by an area of ruins.
The Babylonian empire was the most powerful empire after the fall of the Assyrian empire. The fall of the Assyrian empire led to the New Babylonian Empire under the reign of King Nebuchadnezzar in 600 to 500 B.C.E. He lavished the people with wealth and luxury; he also created thick defensive walls to protect the city. Nebuchadnezzar may have lavished the people but he also created internal dissent that turned the people against each other. Artifacts found suggest that the people wore a wrapped sheepskin skirt called kaunakes with a wide belt going over the shoulder. Once woven cloth became available, garments became more diverse and complex. Royal women wore much gold jewelry. Women also had to wear a veil over their faces-Hijab (this is what the process is called.) Veiling is believed to prevent men from falling into temptation. This is still the case today for modern-day Iraqis.
The peoples lost control of their affairs and were soon overtaken by other nations. Before the fall of the Babylonian Empire, it possessed a city-state government. A king in an absolute monarch governed Babylon, as well. The king acted as legislator, judge, administrator, and warlord; the king also had mayors and councils of elders to help him rule. Because of the lack of actual boundaries, Babylon as well as many other countries had a tendency to keep separatism. This was an important factor in all Mesopotamian societies and remained a political factor.
The capitol of Babylon is Babylonia, a main overland trade route connecting the Persian Gulf and Mediterranean make trading very prosperous. The Babylonian society was both agricultural and urban. Agriculture was Babylon’s main economic factor. There were also industries and fine arts carried out in the cities. Manufactured goods were also very important to trading. Materials such as metal, wood, and stone had to be imported.
The Babylonians believed in the afterlife and worshipped gods; in fact, in all homes at least one room was devoted to worshiping the gods. Today much proof of the Babylonian empire has been destroyed with the exception of a few areas of ruins. I am continuing to study the Babylonians however it is dangerous to obtain more information about them when there is war going on in Babylon’s present day location. For now I will continue my travels learning about more ancient civilizations and see where my studies take me.