The Injustice of Being Young This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

With elections approaching, candidates are talking about what they will accomplish if elected. They make their decisions and say things based on what they think will get them votes. What do these statements mean? Notone candidate is looking to impress or give a voice to non-voters. The wants of teens are generally overlooked. Whether politicians address our issues or not, it won't affect their support; because we can't vote, we don't have a voice.
For these reasons I propose that some accommodation be made to give teenagers a voice, especially since many laws affect us. For example, laws on driving affect most teens over 16, yet unless you're 18, you can't vote on them. As soon as we start working we have to pay taxes. Some start working as young as 14, but still have no voice in the government for four years. Is it fair that we have to pay for a government we have no say in? Our ancestors didn't think so, that's why we had the American Revolution. Their rallying cry was, No taxation without representation. They complained because they couldn't vote for a representative, yet they still had to pay taxes. As evil as it was in our ancestors' eyes, it exists today because many teenagers have to pay taxes without representation to the government they have to support.It comes down to violating the beliefs our country was founded on. Perhaps our so-called representatives should pass laws so that they could truly represent all the taxpayers and working citizens

bennyB said...
Dec. 15, 2010 at 8:42 am
Is not so hard following the goverment, I mean I do it and is not so hard

This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 27, 2009 at 11:25 am
I agree completly. It drives me nuts that I've seen so many teenagers more interested in politics then adults, but they still can't vote. What gives?

LaQuasia J. said...
i agree with your article. its not fair how we have to pay taxes and we have no say in a lot of things.