Music Ties With Writing | Teen Ink

Music Ties With Writing

By amachii GOLD, Schenectady, New York
amachii GOLD, Schenectady, New York

"ganbaranakutemo ee nende!" (It's okay even if you didn't do your best!) -Smileage/Tsunku

I don't know about you, but I couldn't live or write without music. No, not Bach and Mozart and Chopin, but Green Day and AFI and Paramore. Music saves writers, in my opinion.

I was staring into space one day and a girl in my class me what was wrong. I said I had writers' block, and she asked me what that was. I told her, and she started literally dragging me away. She said I needed to have "real fun", but I was strong enough to stay put.

The song "21 Guns" by Green Day was going through my head. I told the girl that I thought music would help.

She started singing "If you’re Happy and You Know It."

I started singing "21 Guns", and then I had it.

"I got it!" I had shouted, "There should be a battle! Thanks! That helped a lot!" Why not make her feel like she helped?

This might sound kind of stupid, but when I hear a song that I like, I always think what part it would be in if my novel were a movie.

I'm only 40 pages or so in my book, but at least music triggers daydreaming. If you don't believe me, check the acknowledgments in the back of any Twilight book, where Stephenie Meyer thanks bands for keeping away writer's block. And she's on the New York Times Best-Seller list. So, that just proves my theory that music ties with writing.

amachii GOLD said...
amachii GOLD, Schenectady, New York

this time, i don't blame you.... i know, this was a bad article.