Winter | Teen Ink

Winter

By death2coke BRONZE, Kennwick, Washington
death2coke BRONZE, Kennwick, Washington

Even after they are long dead, the stars' light brighten our dark skies.

It seems like a ball, rolling down a hill. I’m talking about life, and how it’s like a ball going down a hill. It’s seems to start off really slowly and time takes forever to go around. But you’re so new to life that it’s all you know.

That’s what it was like for me, slow. It was so slow that I felt like I was a hundred by 7 years old. Not really though, just like years took longer. I wasn’t that smart either, during the school year my principle used to give me skittles if I could figure out how to do a whole worksheet. I guess that’s why I love them so much, skittles that is. Well, anyway I started growing up a bit, and I learned new ways to learn the stuff that the teachers taught me in school.

Then the ball starts rolling down the slope, picking up more speed. I wonder why all the time. Probably has something to do with the fact that you have to make more space for your memory. But the seasons seem to be changing at a quicker pace; winter is my favorite for a lot of reasons. My love of winter might have something to do with the amount of time family is forced to spend together and I love every minute of it. Not to mention the fact that all weather turns a bitter cold. People hate the cold, but I revel in it. My nose is always bright red from all the time I spend outside, and my nose always sniffling from the time I spend outside without shoes or a coat. My mom isn’t strict, but my friend’s mom actually got so worried for my health that I was banned from walking over there without a coat and shoes.

Many times it seems like the ball can take 5 paths at all points. It can hit a gentler slope and maintain a constant speed, it can go faster, it can hit a small rough patch and seem to slow down forever, it can hit a cliff and go in a completely different direction, or it can unexpectedly reach a permanent snag and stop right there, the last one could also be the bottom of the hill. I’m afraid of the last possibility. It could mean emotionally, or just mean that life is cut short. It all depends on your hill. Is it rocky? Is it tall? Is it short? You can’t always tell but it seems that the top always shapes the bottom. And what I’m afraid of is that I may not be able to change how quickly I approach that bottom.

I feel that winter gives you that necessary time to slow down your life and think about what you’re doing, which would explain why it seems so long. Many times I have wished I knew what my hill will look like, and hoped that the bottom gently curves outward so that I can come to a gentle stop. I’d rather not take the alternative of a sudden and violent bottom.

Many people have asked my favorite question to try to figure. The question to which, I believe, there cannot possibly be a single answer for all the living things that the earth in her wisdom put on this planet. Most people ask the question in an entirely different form, and I can’t help but wonder why I feel it must be asked in this form.

What is the meaning of that hill? Other forms have included; why do we exist, what is the meaning of life, and what is the purpose of life? Some say a god created them, some say they were created by chance, and yet we do not truly know the answer. I myself think that it is possible that we each exist for our own little reason, whether it be to search for love or some other seemingly deep meaning.

Whatever we’re here for all I know is that we’re not going to find it if we spend our whole life thinking about it, which is why
Winter must turn to spring.

This piece really reflects how i feel about life on earth.