Laugh For Once This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

My creative writing class reads Teen Ink every time a new issue arrives. We each pick an article that we like and one we don't like. The only problem is that it's hard to find an article I enjoy because the majority of the magazine is filled with depressing poems or stories.

I understand that most teens today have a lot of stress and problems, and that writing is one of the only ways to express themselves without fear of criticism or rejection. Writing keeps one's thoughts and emotions private, and provides a sense of security and understanding. But if I log onto a creative website or read a writing magazine, I do not want to find a plethora of articles depicting only sorrow. They bring down the cheerful moods of others and, quite frankly, aren't any fun to read. I, personally, do not want to read a story about how someone wants to die, or a poem about how one's boyfriend or girlfriend ­destroyed his or her life and soul.

Some articles even go so far as to say that no one understands them, or that their problems are different from the rest of the world's. Hello? I couldn't find a larger library of emotional articles if I tried! If you look on any page in a Teen Ink magazine, I'm sure you will find multiple articles that describe the hardships that teens go through.

Life is a wonderful gift. We need to enjoy every moment that we have on this planet while we still can. If you think life is hard as a teenager, then you are going to have a lot of trouble when you go into the real world. Trust me, teenagers have it easy. And if you continue to focus on the past, how will you ever make it to the future? Keep your chin up and your eyes on the prize. Life can be so much more enjoyable if we just stop crying and start smiling. Do you know it takes more muscles to frown than it does to smile?

sacrafice said...

I would also like to add that The best poetry comes from strong emotions like anger and sorrow. After all, was not this article wrten in anger? Once again, please stop criticizing people when you do not fully understand their respective situations.

Peace,

Caitlyn

sacrafice said...

I'm sorry to say that I disagree withalmost every statement in your article. Quite frankly, when teens say that their problems are different from everyone else, they aren't entirely incorrect. Others may face simular situations, but everyone experiences things differently, because everyone is wired differently.

Another problem I have with this is when you say that teenagers have it easy. Not only is this a stereotype, which is never appropriate, but it is also open-ended. Teenagers hav... (more »)

loveisntrealThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jan. 29 at 4:25 pm :
thankyou so much. i couldnt of said it better myself. 

Adaya J. said...
Apr. 5, 2010 at 12:20 am:
although i couldn't agree with you more, that we need laughter. i think the magazine is full of pieces that are coming from beyond the surface of the authors. for many of us, as optomistic as we'd love to be, it is a hard act day to day and the writings or poems we write here are a place to NOT put up a front or let out the emotions underneath. It is a place to express what we are sometimes scared to express everyday. ( : 

smiley_alley7 said...
You're more than right! I love you attitude about this. I like to think I have a positive outlook on live, on everything. That everything's just an experience I didn't have before.

CuteCourt101 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 18, 2010 at 6:14 pm:
Thank you for bringing this up!!

BohemianWordweaver said...
Mar. 7, 2010 at 4:09 pm:
Wow! Thanks for this article! I to have noticed the amount of negetivity in teen writing.It was extremely cool to hear that a teen besides me realizes that happiness is good. This sends a great message! Oh, and keep writing!

AmnyR said...
Mar. 3, 2010 at 10:44 am:
you go! i personally get really tired of reading depressing stories about bad relationships and sometimes just vented anger. i mean sure some of my poetry is sad, but not all of it. lets have some laughs!