You And The Tube | Teen Ink

You And The Tube

December 10, 2009
By Josh.M BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado
Josh.M BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Sure there is the occasional favoret show, big game, tv marathon, but should Television realy be the main part of your life out of school?



The answer; no there was once a time were communities and neighborhoods would come togetherand find other things to do. What happened to friendly neighborhood baseball games? What happened to the occassional walk in the park? What happened to out-door firsby, kickball, four square? They have all been replaced by T.V.



Believe me, I’m not the only one trying to get this point through. Even the NFL (Which is on a T.V station) is trying to get you off your butt with the “play 60 program,” which encourages people to watch less T.V and spend more of their time being active. And speaking of the NFL, I know for a fact that there are athletes that spend the majority of their time infront of the T.V.




No matter how you chose to use your athleticism seeing who’s smarter than a fifth grader won’t help you. While you’re spending the majority of the day watching T.V. other athletes will be getting a head start. Just imagine trying to compete for a scholarship and local scouts are coming to watch the game. Do you think they will have their eyes on you (the obsessed T.V. watcher) or will they have there eyes on the person who took the extra time to practice? So, wont you be glad you watched less T.V. in the future?



And believe me, I’m not one of those T.V. haters I am just an average person who thinks there should be less time in front of the T.V. not no time at all. And for more of you average people just like me cutting down on your T.V. time will definitely benefit you. Wouldn’t it make any parent proud seeing there child being more active and not being a couch potato?



Watching “your shows” all day instead of being constantly active is like buying a new sports car and leaving it in the garage to rust instead of taking care of it and showing it off. Walking the dog, family time in the backyard, jumping on the trampoline, these are all easy and active things to do with your time.



Just look at me, I have only been trying this new idea for three weeks and I have already seen results. I no longer lose my breath when running across a field or riding a bike a few blocks.



So, you decide do you want to have a more active life with a small amount of T.V.? Or do you want to be drowned in a life of constant TV? The answer should be clear.


The author's comments:
This piece describes ho I feel about TV